PDA

View Full Version : First post on avian

Sandra K. Mathews-Benham
07-28-2010, 03:27 PM
here's hoping you didn't look at Fabs's Fabulous loon shot just before this. . . but I still wanted feedback on angles and/or lighting and background.

HH from kayak
Canon EOS XTi
tamron 200-500mm
f/3.6, 1/250, ISO 400

Randy Stout
07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Sandra:

Welcome to avian.

Great low shooting angl, nice drip, like the transillumination of the drip.

The light angle (well to your left) has caused some shadowing of the eye. You did get the green iridescence to show up which isn't always easy.
From a comp standpoint, I would prefer a little more room to the left, and perhaps crop up a bit from the bottom. Loons generally lend themselves to strong pano crops.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Randy

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Great comments from Randy. I too love the low angle and the little water droplet. How thrilling it must be to see these beauties. Many thanks for sharing Sandra and big welcome to BPN !!!!!!!:)

Dick Glover
07-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Welcome to BPN, what a great start. Agree about a little more room to the left, but the low angle, water drop, and fine exposure make this one special. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.

Nico Steenberg
07-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Nits covered. Great looking bird and the exposure is good Well done !

Lance Peters
07-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Nice Sandra - Id be tempted to crop some from the bottom - too much negative space there for my tastes.
:)

Fabs Forns
07-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi Sandra, welcome to eh Avian Forum :)
You did pretty good considering the light angle. It got on the eye for the eye as RAndy mentions, on the other hand it allowed for the teal green of the neck to show.
Agree on Lance's recommendation for the cropping and you can try for them using the Shadow/Highlight tool if you want to extract more out of the darks.
Thanks very much for sharing this one and I hope you got more.

Dan Busby
07-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Very nice Sandra. The water drops on the beak really make this one. I agree with less room on the bottom.

Stu Bowie
07-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Welcome to the avian section Sandra. Good work from a kayak, thus resulting in a super low angle. Although the light angle is not ideal, you have brought out the green of the head nicely, and I like the droplets hanging from the beak.