PDA

View Full Version : Fly

Steve Maxson
07-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I photographed this fly in early June. Sorry, I don't know what type it is - but the reddish eyes are rather attractive (if you find flies attractive). :) 40D, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, 1/200, f/16, ISO 100, macro twin flash (diffused). I cleaned up some minor debris on the leaf and cropped for composition. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Dick Glover
07-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Great detail, DOF, eyes really draw attention, just the right focus point. I am impressed by the lighting. Great job, thanks for sharing.

Julie Kenward
07-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Steve, that's about as clean an image as you're ever going to get. Great detail and lovely lighting. One suggestion might be to play around with the back half of the leaf where it's brighter and see if toning that area down a bit might make the focus shift even more to the fly. You might also pull up the front half of the leaf as well.

Lovely work!

Julie Brown
07-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Steve, you got excellent detail in this shot. Very pleasing all around. Those eyes are awesome!

Charles Wesley
07-29-2010, 06:44 AM
Steve,

Most excellent image. I love the color and detail. Like the green leave as BG. Thanks for sharing...

Ken Childs
07-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Steve, this fly looks great. It's as sharp as could be expected. I agree with Jules on toning down the back half of the leaf.

If you were able to and the fly let it happen, dropping down a little to get an eye level shot might have looked even better.

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Hey Steve,
Excellent advice given above regarding the back of the leaf.....will just put more emphasis on the fly. Looking at the specs.....go cra zy and ISO 400....get max DOF......40D shouldn't be a noise issue! You 'd also be surprised how weel the lenses do in the f29 or 32 range! All in all...very nicely done!