PDA

View Full Version : Charleston, SC, bird photography?

Michael Rosenbaum
07-28-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm going to be up in Charleston for a conference 10-4 to 10-10. I plan to either get there a couple of days early or stay a couple of days afterwards in order to do some bird photography. Would love to get shorebirds at close range; also marsh/wading birds....

Any recommendations for sites having these inhabitants?

Mike Nardini
09-11-2010, 10:17 AM
You may want to try the Audubon Swamp Garden at Magnolia Plantation in Charleston. The swamp had a lot of herons, egrets and ducks in proximity to the boardwalk and paths that meander through the area. You might also consider the Audubon Center at Biedler Forest in Harleyville (about an hour from Charleston) which also has a boardwalk going through the swamp. I did not see any shore or marsh/wading birds when I was there last year but did some several barred owls.
The ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge can also be a good place. Try getting your hands on the Birding the South Carolina Heritage Corridor phamplet from the state's Dept of Parks, Recreation and Tourism. This publication

Michael Rosenbaum
10-24-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks very much, Mike.

I did go and found Huntington Beach State Park to be very productive for woodstorks, snowies and great egrets. Also a couple of avocets. This was near the causeway. By the beach park there were many song birds.