PDA

View Full Version : Painted bunting

Duane Angles
07-27-2010, 09:02 PM
I love the spring migration, these guys return in abundance to Oklahoma. This bird was called in.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 500mm withe 1.4x TC
1/300 sec, f/11
Mode: Manual
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 800
Flash: External E-TTL
Flash exp comp: -2/3

Sid Garige
07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Duane,

Killer image. Great pose and fantastic details.
Been a while how are you?

-Sid

Fernando Cerra
07-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Great image, like an actual painting of the Painted bunting

Duane Angles
07-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey Sid, yeah it's been a while. Just perfecting my photography and working the job. Thanks for the comment and good to hear from you, have not been on this site much but will try to post some more.

Colin Knight
07-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Beautiful bird! Why f/11?

Julie Brown
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Just a gorgeous bird, and very sharp! I like the open beak.

Bob Kothenbeutel
07-27-2010, 11:45 PM
This is a very striking image of a gorgeous bird that I have yet to see in real life. What bothers me though is that it almost appears as though the subject was cut out and pasted on to the background. Maybe it's the effect of the flash and / or the dark background.
Bob

Kiran Poonacha
07-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Great colours on the This.. loved the details too...

Joe Senzatimore
07-28-2010, 06:46 AM
The beautiful BG offsets this stunnig bird in a very fine image. One of the species on my "want list". Color and detail are stunning .

Arthur Morris
07-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Stunning with a killer perch but I need help. I am working on a new laptop viewing BPN in Mozilla Firefox. The image as posted here looks mega-over-saturated. When I save the image and viewed it in BreezeBrowser it looked perfect with bright but much subdued colors. When I opened it in Photoshop it looked a bit over-saturated but not as bad as it does above :confused: Can anyone help?

Duane, welcome and thanks a ton for your membership support.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Loved the pose and the comp a lot. Beautiful bird for sure.

Artie, on the firefox front, make sure the color management is enabled. Check the following link: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gfx.color_management.enabled

I have that set to 1.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Artie, to be able to set the gfx.color_management.mode, you will have to type about:config in the url window. That will give you the list of all such options.

Arthur Morris
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks a ton Kaustubh but I am stuck I think. I typed about:config in the url window and to my surprise the long list did come up but "color management" is not on the list... Any suggestions?

Do you know about/recommend this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891/

If yes, what is a GUI front end?

By now you have figured out that I am a computer dummy :) I have known it for a long time.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Artie, in that long list that you get after typing about:config in url window, look for gfx.color_management.mode. Just scroll down to g and you will see it. Everything is in alphabetical order. Check if yours is set to 0. On my new laptop, for some reason, it was set to 0 although the documentation says default is 2. I have set it to 1. I was facing this issue 2 days back with my new work laptop. Photos were looking quite different in Firefox than IE. That is when I found this out. I dont know about that add-on.

Arthur Morris
07-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks again again. I was able to follow your directions. Mine was set to 2 so I changed it to 1. But, I rebooted and the problem persists :confused:...

BTW, can you check and let me know the correct setting for the next item in the list: gfx.color_management.rendering_intent;0. I changed that by accident and am not sure if it should be set to 0.

Any suggestions anyone? :)

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks again again. I was able to follow your directions. Mine was set to 2 so I changed it to 1. But, I rebooted and the problem persists :confused:...

BTW, can you check and let me know the correct setting for the next item in the list: gfx.color_management.rendering_intent;0. I changed that by accident and am not sure if it should be set to 0.

Any suggestions anyone? :)

Artie, the rendering_intent is set to 0 in mine too. I am not sure what the problem in your case is then. Sorry. I had heard that there were issues with firefox 3.5. I am running the latest 3.6.8 version. Hope someone else here has more ideas.

Arthur Morris
07-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks a ton again. I do appreciate your trying and I was sure that your fix would work! I too am running 3.6.8.

Robert O'Toole
07-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Artie,

First off, the image is in the wrong color space, it is tagged aRGB (Adobe RGB). It should be converted to and tagged correctly with sRGB color.

This causes all kinds of problems with weird colors. An aRGB image displayed online, usually it looks subdued and flat. If you display it in a program with color management on like firefox it will look over saturated.

So the reason is looks okay in IE is that IE cannot read the colorspace.

Hope this helps.

BTW, we have covered firefox, IE and colorspace a few times in BPN in the past.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
07-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Here is the file as opened in aRGB on the left. Opened converted and tagged sRGB on the right. Then a screen capture of both together.

Hope this capture helps clarify the issue.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
07-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks a ton Kaustubh but I am stuck I think. I typed about:config in the url window and to my surprise the long list did come up but "color management" is not on the list... Any suggestions?

Do you know about/recommend this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891/

here is a screen capture of my settings. I have my monitor calibration profile enabled..I dont think it makes much difference really.

If yes, what is a GUI front end?[/url]

By now you have figured out that I am a computer dummy :) I have known it for a long time.

GUI is graphical user interface, that is anything not command line code.

Rendering intent should be on 0.

Did I miss anything?

Robert

Arthur Morris
07-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Here is the file as opened in aRGB on the left. Opened converted and tagged sRGB on the right. Then a screen capture of both together. Hope this capture helps clarify the issue. Robert

Not quite :) The two images in the Pane above are identical as to color from here. So it would seem that something is wrong on this end....

Robert O'Toole
07-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Not quite :) The two images in the Pane above are identical as to color from here. So it would seem that something is wrong on this end....

What? No...

:D

How are you doing that?

The side by side image is a single image with an sRGB color tag, so it should display properly!

Save and open it in PS maybe. There should be a night and day difference.

Are you using Firefox?

Robert

Arthur Morris
07-28-2010, 06:35 PM
I am getting closer to solving this. The two images together look fine in a Google (Chrome?) window.... But they are both hugely over-saturated in the Firefox window...

This might be it--on the first gfx line, this one: gfx.color_management.display_profile it is blank at the end in the value column. Above, in Pane 20 your screen shows a long line of text there that starts:

C:\Windows\System 32 etc. How does that line read in full and how do I get it there....

Robert O'Toole
07-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I am getting closer to solving this. ......

C:\Windows\System 32 etc. How does that line read in full and how do I get it there....

That is my monitor calibration profile ( the one I made with your eye 1 system, thanks!).

I should have explained in more detail, sorry.

Just go to that line in Firefox about: config, double click on the profile location space, then a box opens, go to your profile and click okay. With Windows 7 the profile is here:

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\

Here is a screenshot of the pop up box.

Also dont forget to re-start firefox for any changes to take effect.
Robert

Robert O'Toole
07-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Artie, I should also note that the reason I did not go into a full explanation of enabling the custom monitor profile was that I don't see much difference with it set. On of off there was not much difference but I still leave it enabled anyway.

Robert

Arthur Morris
07-29-2010, 04:59 AM
Artie, I should also note that the reason I did not go into a full explanation of enabling the custom monitor profile was that I don't see much difference with it set. On of off there was not much difference but I still leave it enabled anyway. Robert

I have done everything. I typed in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\monitor (adding the word monitor to what you typed in Pane 24. Still no good. The Painted Bunting looks perfect in the Google (Chrome) window and mega over-saturated in Firefox.

What browser am I in when I am in the Google thing that you set up????

Still need help :)

Arthur Morris
07-29-2010, 05:00 AM
ps: Thanks Robert and Kaustubh for trying!

Robert O'Toole
07-29-2010, 08:38 AM
........ Still need help :)

Okay I figured at least the problem loading your monitor profile. You need to go directly to the profile you want to load. Here is my path:
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\Monitor_7-22-2010_2.icc
Since we did your monitor the same day it should have the same file name.
Load that file and re-start firefox.

Try it again :D

I dont think it will make a huge difference but it will not hurt to have the proper profile enabled.

If you would like to take a test of your vision 'calibration' take a quick test here, I recommend it, its fun!

Munsell Hue test (http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77&Lang=en)

Robert

Arthur Morris
07-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks but you are forgetting that I am a computer dummy....

You need to go directly to the profile you want to load.

How do I go to my profile???

Here is my path:
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\Monitor_7-22-2010_2.icc
Since we did your monitor the same day it should have the same file name.
Load that file and re-start firefox.

Where and how do I find it and how do I load it?

I don't think it will make a huge difference but it will not hurt to have the proper profile enabled.

I don't think that it will work either. Something else is going on.

Why does the image look fine in the Google window but not in Mozilla??????

If you would like to take a test of your vision 'calibration' take a quick test here, I recommend it, its fun!

Munsell Hue test (http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77&Lang=en)

I will try to remember to do that when I finish my 2009 income taxes!

Robert O'Toole
07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
How do I go to my profile???

The same was as before go to the Firefox address bar, about: config, double click on the profile location space, then a box opens, go to your profile and click okay. With Windows 7 the profile is here:

Then when the box pops up go to the exact profile file, should be similar to: C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\Monitor_7-22-2010_2.icc

Press okay and dont forget to re-start firefox for any changes to take effect.

I don't think that it will work either. Something else is going on.
Why does the image look fine in the Google window but not in Mozilla??????

Google Chrome does looks better. Chrome is great, I actually prefer it to FF, it is much faster and now I think the image display is better.

Robert

ChasMcRae
07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Interesting discussion since I had to give up on FFox recently for several issues.
I looked at the comparison pics on Opera,IE and IE64 and all looked the same.
The only difference I could see primarily between the two pics was the background.

ChasMcRae
07-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Love the pic and but may have removed the small red spot from the bill. Also may have played around with the background ,lighter,etc. and could always come back to the original look.
I love to see all male PB pics in various poses,action and habitat.

Arthur Morris
07-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Above, I was using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox. It was wreaking havoc on this and other images. Kaustubh's Black-bellied Whistling Duck in another post exhibited horrific artifacting when viewed in Firefox. I (accidentally) wound up viewing the images in Google Chrome and they all--including the Painted Bunting here--look great with no problems.

Kaustubh and Robert O'Toole offered tons of help and advice above but it was all to no avail No need to beat my head against the wall so I have made Google Chrome my default browser.