PDA

View Full Version : Clouded Sulphur

Ken Childs
07-27-2010, 07:43 PM
This is actually a Cloudless Sulphur but I'm not able to change the post title.

Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @285mm
Av mode
1/500"
F13
ISO:400
LR & CS3
HH

Roman Kurywczak
07-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey Ken,
You're killing them! Pose and light....with a killer BG to set the sulpher off....super job. Are you cutting those zinia's and plopping those guys on?;)......you are just churnung out winners!

Allen Sparks
07-27-2010, 10:32 PM
amazing image Ken...wonderful angle of the butterfly, great against that background, and love the color tones of the flower. very well done...

Ken Childs
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Are you cutting those zinia's and plopping those guys on?;)......you are just churnung out winners!
LOL!
When Allen was here, the flowers were mostly clumped together but recently a few grew up above the pack. If I stand still and wait, it doesn't take long for something to land on a flower with a good BG.

For anyone growing a butterfly garden, Zinnias are the best of the best at attracting multiple species.

Anita Bower
07-28-2010, 05:11 PM
I completely agree with Roman. Wow! You have your own butterfly portrait studio. I will definitely be planting zinnias next year. This is the first year I haven't.:D

Julie Kenward
07-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm definitely adding Zinnias! Holy cow, Ken...this is a beauty! Clear something up for me, though. I thought when they had the white spots on the side of the wings they were considered "clouded". Why then is this one cloudless?

Ken Childs
07-28-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm definitely adding Zinnias! Holy cow, Ken...this is a beauty! Clear something up for me, though. I thought when they had the white spots on the side of the wings they were considered "clouded". Why then is this one cloudless?
I wish I could give you a definitive answer but I really don't know how these things got their common names. Both species have similar markings on the underside of the wings although Cloudless Sulphurs are bigger and are a different shade of yellow.

I had 2 odd things happen today with this species. The first was that I saw one perched with its wings open which is something I've never seen before. The other, which happened only a few minutes later, was I had one of them land on my chin. Almost immediately another one showed up and started displaying to the first which put it about 2 inches in front of my mouth. They did this for about 5 seconds and then flew off together. :)

Steve Maxson
07-28-2010, 07:02 PM
The pose, color, and sharpness of the butterfly are outstanding, Ken. Well done.

Julie Brown
07-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Ken, you really nailed this one. Love the saturated colors and BG. You got so much detail on the head and eye it almost looks like a face!

Jonathan Ashton
07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Gorgeous shot, the zoom works well. Lovely composition and colour.