PDA

View Full Version : Northern Gannet

Jory Griesman
07-27-2010, 06:29 PM
From Cape St. Mary's, Newfoundland. Grass in foreground looks oversaturated, but this was with minimal processing in RAW, with minimal vibrance. Background is the ocean.

Nikon D700, 600mm f/4 with 1.7 TC.
1/320 sec, f/6.7, ISO 200, manual exposure

Wilson Hum
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Like the head angle Jory. A touch hot on top as is prone to happen with these birds sometimes. Maybe some -EC. This is definitely a different type of shot of this species and shows you exploring some new angles/comps although the preference is for the more traditional shots. Can I ask why you went for this type of framing? Cape St. Mary's must be a lovely place and perhaps I'll be fortunate to visit next year.

Jory Griesman
07-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Top of head is bright, but not burned out. Re: framing. Why not? I liked the clean, 2 tone background. I have many other, more "traditional" shots that I haven't posted yet.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-28-2010, 06:29 AM
I love this as presented and I don't think that the top of the head looks too bright. I say Vive La Difference :D

Bert De Tilly
07-28-2010, 06:42 AM
I like the shot, light, good sharpness

Joe Senzatimore
07-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Love the different framing on this shot. Beautiful BG and nice angle. I think the eye could be a bit sharper , but still love this one.

Randy Stout
07-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Jory:

A well constructed image IMHO. The head actually looks a sliver turned away to me, but still very effective.
I am with Joe on a bit more sharpening. I would be tempted to selectively work on the eye, lores and dark markings on bill, leave rest alone.

Nicely done.

Randy

PS: Jory, I do think some of the whites on the top of the head and bill were burnt in the jpeg conversion process. Might be worth a revisit.

Jory Griesman
07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks, Randy. I did selectively sharpen the eye and lores, but cut back a bit, as they looked oversharpened to me. Agree head is marginally turned away. Waited and waited, but, in this position (neck extended), he/she wouldn't cooperate!

Arthur Morris
07-28-2010, 09:02 AM
I like the framing though it could use a bit more grass and canvas on the bottom and a bit better head angle. SH, EXP, and BKGR are all excellent.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Well seen and composed. Love the OOF FG a lot. Agree with Artie on a slightly better HA. A unqiue awesome shot.