PDA

View Full Version : The flight of the Great Egret

Michel Pilon
07-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Hello all,

Here is a Great Egret photographied at the Carbonneau's Marsh in Quebec.

I spent about 2 enjoyable hours photographying this unusual visitor. Playing with the measure mode I realized that the spot measure does great job with white birds. Here I chose to open small (f/11) in order to be assured to get the whole birds in focus. But the price to pay is the environment which is more present.

Any comments about this pic?

Thanks you very much in advance,

Michel

http://parcours.pilonm.org/pictures/grandeAigrette43.jpg

Model = Canon EOS 40D
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 300
Y Resolution = 300
Resolution Unit = inch
Software = Adobe Photoshop CS Windows
Date Time = 2010-05-09 18:34:43
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 220
GPS Info IFD Pointer = Offset: 920

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/800"
F Number = F11
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 640
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2009-08-19 15:27:05
Date Time Digitized = 2009-08-19 15:27:05
Shutter Speed Value = 9.63 TV
Aperture Value = 7 AV
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 420mm

Dave Blinder
07-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi Michel - Very nice capture. I like the DOF and exposure, included habitat doesn't look too distracting to me. I see some cloning artifacts on the cattails.

Alan Murphy
07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
The bird being white, helps it stand out from the busy BG. Good timing.

Arthur Morris
07-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Nice timing, nice COMP. I'd have gone with a wider aperture as I have been doing for nearly three decades now :)

Wilson Hum
07-27-2010, 10:03 PM
You caught the egret at a very good moment. Nice comp too. I agree with Art, he knows what he's talking about ;-) In this case, I too would have shot at a wider aperture. You'd be surprised how much of the bird would still look in focus even at a more open aperture.

Bert De Tilly
07-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Hello Michel,

Very nice shot, good timing, thank for sharring.

Connie Mier
07-28-2010, 12:40 PM
I like the comp very much and wouldn't mind the bg to be more oof. On the other hand, I like it as is, the grass is beatiful. Nice work on the whites.

Michel Pilon
07-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Hello all,

Thank you very much for your pertinent comments always appreciated :-)

I see some cloning artifacts on the cattails.

Ouf! You are completly right, Dave... I didn't realize their presence and will correct them as soon as possble. Thank you very much for pointing me that flaw...

Thank you Art and Wilson for your comment about the aperture. Next time I will do some tests with wider aperture for birds that size and distance...

About the measure setting I used, do you guys had also chosen a spot measuring in that case (white bird against a darker bg)? I'm just wandering if it can be a good strategy/case for that kind of situation. Here it worked well as you can see...

Cheers,

Michel