PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Challenge

Roman Kurywczak
07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
James ....I told you I'd get even!!!;)
For a while now.....I have noticed something interesting on BPN…….many people who post in the Landscape and Macro forum…..also post some impressive images in Avian! Yet…..when the poll was taken on which was more difficult….avian or landscape photography;
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?60123-Avian-Phototgraphy-vs-Landscape-Photography
….avian won by more than a 2 to 1 margin…….which made me think the deck was stacked against us here on the bottom of the forums!!!
…..so here is my challenge to all you avian guys and gals……post your best landscape....put your vote where your photography is!!! I’ll have the landscapers and macro shooters to post their best avian image. If Avian photography is sooooo tough:2eyes2:……us landscapers and macro guys……should get blown away with your landscape images……after all…..they are so easy! Let’s give this 2 weeks….post your images here…..and let the tougher discipline prevail!:cheers:

Desmond Chan
07-26-2010, 09:57 PM
..so here is my challenge to all you avian guys and gals……post your best landscape....put your vote where your photography is!!! I’ll have the landscapers and macro shooters to post their best avian image. If Avian photography is sooooo tough:2eyes2:……us landscapers and macro guys……should get blown away with your landscape images……after all…..they are so easy! Let’s give this 2 weeks….post your images here…..and let the tougher discipline prevail!:cheers:[/SIZE][/FONT]

But quite a few of us post...everywhere :p

Roman Kurywczak
07-26-2010, 10:01 PM
But quite a few of us post...everywhere :p
yeah....but how'd you vote? Then post the other!

Fabs Forns
07-26-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm not much a landscape photog, although I must admit that's how I got started in photo, but soon the adrenaline of action convinced me to stay in birds.
Nothing out of this world, not original, but not much more I found to do. Iconinc locations and double hard to photograph, especially if you're not on your own and have all the time to plot a new approach :o
A 3 EXP HDR, processed in Photomatix. I was using Nikon at the time, so only 1 stop difference in them.

Model: NIKON D3
Lens (mm): 70
ISO: 800
Aperture: 20

Julie Brown
07-26-2010, 11:17 PM
For the poll I voted that birds were more difficult to photograph. So here is my entry for the landscape challenge-an image from a workshop in Colorado taken July 7, 2010. For almost the entire 90 minute drive from Gunnison we had rain and dull gray skies. By the time we arrived, the clouds started to open up and we got evening light in the canyon.

Canon 5D MK II, 24-105mm f4L IS (47mm), f16, (1/5sec+1/25sec), ISO 100, 0EV, pattern metering, manual exposure, polarizer, tripod

PP: LR 2.6
Full frame with slight crop from bottom
2-image blend using LR Enfuse plug-in
set black and white points
graduated filter tool for sky
tweaked exposure and color using NIK Viveza 2.0
Sharpener Pro 3.0; Dfine 2.0 for NR

Julie Brown
07-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Fabs, I like the textures in the canyon and the strong blue color of the water. To get the silky water you must have had a slow shutter speed.

Harshad Barve
07-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Hmmm , Interesting one Roman , Looks like Avian guys will run away with IOTW award ;)

Harshad Barve
07-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Love the light and shadow effect here
TFS

Roman Kurywczak
07-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Hey Julie,
Thanks for taking the challenge. You were faced with the first difficulty a landscape photographer faces.......the light. The window of opportunity you got here was quite narrow but dramatic.....the skies are fantastic.....however, you also faced another challenge.....getting interesting things into the FG to add interest. I'm a huge fan of dead trees myself but the shadows along the bottom.....and the color is close to Gunnison canyon....so it blends in a bit.....a bit of selective PP'in there can give it a bit more seperation. Overall, I think you thought the comp out well....the large shadows are playing a bit of havoc with this one.

Roman Kurywczak
07-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Hey Fabs,
Thanks for taking the challenge! You have also found one of the biggest problems with landscape photography.....how do you capture something in an iconic location.....that's just a bit different? I think you did very well here handling the light! this location almost always begs for overcast light.....so your choice of HDR was an excellent one! I like how the falls and river flow on the left ROT line with the LH tree a nice anchor. Not my favorite view with the tree on the right......but I've stood there a hundred times.....so plenty of times to explore! All in all.....very well composed and really nice job handling the mixed light.........you've thrown down the challenge nicely.....so now I must go into the bird files!

I've copied it here too.....for those who don't venture down into landscapes........we know who you are;).

Allen Sparks
07-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Hmmm, I did not vote in the original poll but mainly post in macro here on BPN so I better do an avian here. But I think both macro and avian are challenging. I think I will ride the fence somewhat on this one....here is a "macro" of a hummer in flight.

Canon 70-300mm @300, ISO 800, f9, 1/640s, HH, natural light

Ken Childs
07-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I didn't vote in the poll either but what the heck, I might as well post something here. I can't say this is my best avian shot but it's one of my favorites.

Female Brown-headed Cowbirds waiting for their turn at my seed feeder. The 2 on the right were a bit closer to each other in the original so I added some branch to even them out.

Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 220mm
Manual mode
1/200"
F10
ISO:400
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
LR & CS3
Tripod

Roman Kurywczak
07-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Hey Allen and Ken! Way to go guys! Allen....if you're going to show wing blur.....that's the way to do it! Great pose and light with sharpness hwere it nees it. Yes I may have preferred a touch more sharpness on the feet...but all in all....very well done! Ken.....I like high key presntations....so this is no exception.....debating sharpness on the RH bird.....perhaps another round of usm and if the avain HAP deop by.....you might get a ticket there;)......the head interaction and poses are very cool and the flash brought up enough detail for my tastes.Might tighten the pano look more with a crop....but all in all a very unique presentation that was very well done!

Stuart Hill
07-28-2010, 02:10 PM
This is a bit of both. I was shooting Red Kites in Wales, UK during a snow storm. This landscape was too good to miss. It's the Red Kites in the sky.
I voted birds.

regards.
Stu.

D300 + 300mm

peter delaney
07-28-2010, 02:20 PM
I am still learning my trade as a nature photographer, no easy discipline be , avian or landscape , abstract etc BUT.

Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. Ansel Adams ...

Julie Kenward
07-28-2010, 06:00 PM
I have a hard time with both Avian AND landscape so I decided to post a little of both rolled into one. :D

Fabs Forns
07-28-2010, 07:02 PM
I posted my try before in the Landscape Forum, had not seen that they are to be posted here. So here it goes, fresh from last week. Not sure if we comment on the others or if Master K is the one in charge of the comments :)

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2010, 08:33 PM
You can comment Fabs!...but I do think the macro and landscape crew has taken the lead!......although you are holding up your end of the bargain!........better call in reinforcements!!!

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Hey Stuart,
Since you voted for Avian.......you know I can't be gentle.......but I do see why your self assesment of a great landscape OP...came to mind! Here's where the fun really starts;).....in landscapes.....we try to capture the essence of the scene......but much like avian......what you leave out is just as important! I think the top bird......even though sharp....doesn't add to the scene....stronger as a pano....above the poles with the 1 bird in above.......which brings me to an important question for you and your vote......technically and esthetically.....do you think you captured the mood and feel of the place? If the birds had flown closer.......would you be able to capture them? My answer to this is technically.....it would be easier to capture the birds!.....see where I question the votes?:D

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Dang Jules.....you're cheating! Did you vote for Avian?....et tu Brute'......In any case....this works as an environmental bird shot....nice even light throughout.......so thanks for giving me my shot at the avian guys and gals.......you look for even light!!!.......exposure is a piece of cake! In landscapes....when the truly dramatic happen.....I have a 3-10 stop exposure challenge....if you are going to do it right....ever had that in an Avian shot?;)......didn't think so....still sticking to your votes:2eyes2:?

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Hey Fabs,
I've got you in pane #4!!!....You are single handedly holding the fort for the avain crew!!!.....but this isn't a NJ election and I won't let you double dip!!!......great job with the HDR...and great comp!......but this one is DQ'd!!! Please comment on the avian.....because I don't want to be one sided:p......but did you see Peter's?!!!.......landscapers havre taken the lead:cheers:

Roman Kurywczak
07-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey Peter,
You crushed it!!! Perhaps a bit more room right....but as a I am mister too tight.....fine for me. This one has raised the bar for the other side!!! They need to top this one! Congrats and :cheers:! Way to hold up for the landscapers!

Desmond Chan
07-29-2010, 12:37 AM
I voted for "landscape is more difficult".

That is a juvy gyrfalcon. Taken in Feb.

Stu Bowie
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
OK, so most of my work is in avian, and the odd image in wildlife - BUT - who says we cant take landscape images;) This was early morning in the Pilanesberg nature reserve three weeks ago.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Roman, most of my landscape work is in homemade scans of velvia slides. Since buying DSLR, I havent travelled anywhere to do nature photography. Now that I have 17-40 as well, I will certainly get back into landscapes. I think doing landscapes photography in places that are not naturally beautiful is quite hard. That is why I dont attempt it a lot in Dallas :-) IMO, hard or not really depends on location and what you are trying to shoot.

Following is Lake Louise in Banff NP. canon eos elan 7e. tamron 28-75. graduated neutal density filter. iso 50 fuji velvia. Since the bigger size hosted on photo.net server is larger than 200KB, I am uploading the smaller size.

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey Desmond,
Yes.....the avian crew may comment on the wing position.....not my favorite either....but I am sure most people would be happy to have this in their files! I've never said both weren't challenging.....but by the sheer absence of most of the Avain mods......I think they know!!!.......way to represent!

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Hey Stuart,
I didn't say you guys couldn't take a landscape image......I was just questioning your easier votes;)! You had very nice early morning light....with the fog adding a nice extra element. You also did very well minimizing the uninteresting sky......but I am wishing for a bit of a FG interest to take this up yet another notch........overall though....this was very well done with what was prested to you. But.......let's see......if you had clouds....this would go up a notch....FG element....another one.....even earlier light to make the range even more dramatic.....yet tougher to control......still sticking to my birds are easier:D.

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Hey Kaustubh,
I was actually surprised by your vote! This image is a classic example of what no bird photographer really faces......how do you take an iconic location.....even when the light and clouds don't cooperate? I do think you can open up the shadow side some more.....to give another added dimension.....but because motehr nature didn't cooperate with you in one of the most beautiful places on earth.....you got VG......now think about it.....on a day like this.....I would be shooting birds for a good 3 hours.......I never have that window to shoot landscapes!!! Think about it.....I think you need to re-consider your vote!;)

Dave Kilpatrick
07-30-2010, 07:54 AM
I have a hard time with both Avian AND landscape so I decided to post a little of both rolled into one. :D

This is very nice! I was advised in the past to make the bird just a part of the landscape and I try to do that. This is uncontrived (no setups) and nicely composed.

Dave Kilpatrick
07-30-2010, 07:58 AM
I didn't vote either but thought I would contribute this image.

Roman Kurywczak
07-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey Dave,
Very nicely done!!! This is a great example of some landscape images that can be made......when out photographing birds.......you have made a very nice connection with the birds and the environs! Might just pull up the fog in the MG a touch more.....giving even more seperation and depth......but an easy tweak to a very nice image!

Dave Kilpatrick
07-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Hey Dave,
Very nicely done!!! This is a great example of some landscape images that can be made......when out photographing birds.......you have made a very nice connection with the birds and the environs! Might just pull up the fog in the MG a touch more.....giving even more seperation and depth......but an easy tweak to a very nice image!

Thanks Roman. Not sure I know how to do that but here is my attempt. All I have available is Aperture 3. Additionally I have included the photo info as follows:
D300
80-400 Zoom at 250 mm (375)
WB Auto
Raw capture
ISO 1000
1/200 at f/9
Matrix metering
Aperture Priority

Fabs Forns
07-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Very nice landscape, I think it needs some CW rotation, though.

Dave Kilpatrick
08-01-2010, 04:08 AM
Very nice landscape, I think it needs some CW rotation, though.

On close examination, I agree. It didn't need very much but the effect noticeably improved the image. Thanks.

Roman Kurywczak
08-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Nice Job Dave with the re-post and following the advice (many ways to get there).......Nice catch Fabs!

Dave Kilpatrick
08-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Thanks Fabs and Roman for your advice and comments. Here's the final product, slightly rotated to level the horizon, slightly cropped (20%), and with the fog pulled up a touch. I think I will leave it as is.

Mike Tracy
08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I am not a landscaper. My best isn't here on a HD at home. Actually I am not even sure I like this image. Not sure if this qualifies for your challenge but I am always game to play and am receptive to constructive criticism.

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Last repost works for me Dave!

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey Mike,
Well....I think it qualifies! I like the seperation you have in the crosses and fence.....not too many mergers and the FG fence works nicely. You didn't post the specs....but looks sharp throughout....although I would want a bit more detail in the whites....if you can eek it out. I would also consider a multiplied layer in the sky.....split ND in the field.....may have achieved the same result.....but depending on SS.....layer may achieve a nicer result. Overall....I think this was very nicely done! Thanks for taking the challenge!

Roman Kurywczak
08-02-2010, 09:29 PM
OK Avain voters.....here's a landscapers post;). I chose this one as it is fairly close to my house.....I agree that both pose challenges......having done both for many years.....ther is no contest.....landscapes are leaps and bounds harder than Avain (yeah....I'm eggin' the avian guys on)! Yes....my subject doesn't move most of the time......ever have a 9 stop difference in light in the same exposure?....din't think so. In general....when shooting sunrise or sunset......I have at leat a 3 stop difference or more in light. Every morning I go out to do avian photogrpahy.....I have a godd 2 or 3 hours.....both at sunrise and sunset. I'll be lucky to get 30 minutes of prime light and a dramatic landcsape on any given day. Ever wonder why outdoor photographer has a landscape spectacular.....not an avian? I'm with Peter....you want to move up to the big leagues:p......take up landscapes:D!:cheers:

Fabs Forns
08-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey, RK, how 'bout this one :)
Waiting for your feathers in Avian, I know you must have some...
This one you posted ain't too shabby :) Just a bit tight LOL

peter delaney
08-03-2010, 06:10 AM
some more feathers...........

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey Peter,
I like almost the sepia toned look to this.....I think you have enough details in the blacks and the feel and look to this is great. I would remove/patch the rocks in the LR.....but other than that another fine one to throw down for the Avian boys and girls!!!

Roman Kurywczak
08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Hey, RK, how 'bout this one :)
Waiting for your feathers in Avian, I know you must have some...
This one you posted ain't too shabby :) Just a bit tight LOL
well it just wouldn't be me if it wasn't tight;)! I think you are single handedly holding down the fort for the avian votes (Dave didn't vote)......I have to go into the section and rile them up some more! This is what an HDR is supposed to look like IMO.....some people go for the more "natural" look....but I can do that with filters......I feel it's strength is to get the tonal range in there and look dreamy......which you have done very well in this case......a bit tight on top frame edge......even for me:D......but all in all a super job.....almost like a Kincaid painting.

Fabs Forns
08-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Very nice image and mood, Peter. I think you should get some off the left, to get the bird off center.

peter delaney
08-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks Fabs, agree with you ... will crop it that way from now on,
I really like the "magical"effect you created in your image, I played around with your crop, you might think it a bit tight, if you crop the top all the way down to were the cloud begins on LHS , it really focuses the viewers eye on the house, and gives the image a more ominous feel..