PDA

View Full Version : Kalahari female Lion

Marc Mol
07-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Early evening and yawning time, an indication that this pride were about to go on a hunt.
Sticking with a landscape F/F, (my preferred layout) image this time. ;)

D3 500VR 1/180s ISO800@ f/5.6 Deception Valley, Central Kalahari- Botswana.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/Nature/Botswana-Sept-2009/D315593a/947335803_5sZej-XL.jpg

Harshad Barve
07-26-2010, 08:40 PM
wow , excellent yawning pose and very well captured here , love that tongue
TFS

Steve Canuel
07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Marc,
I like the scrunched up face, squinty eyes, and teeth and tongue. Also like the overall colors of the image. The intersecting frame on the body at a point where it gets thinner rather than thicker seems a bit awkward to me for some reason though I suspect that may just be me.

Rachel Hollander
07-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Marc - I like this very much but agree with Steve that I would probably crop in from the right to near the back of the front leg. Love the detail and expression of the lion even if it is a yawn ;). Btw is that a whisker hanging down on the lhs?

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
07-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Appreciate the comments guys.

Btw is that a whisker hanging down on the lhs?

Correct, you can also just make out she has the opposing same foo man choo whisker on her other side.:D

Alfred Forns
07-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Hi Marc It is an interesting crop going horizontal !! I think the strongest part of the image is the expression and wold go with anything showing it larger in frame, the suggested crop by the leg would work in a big way along with some from the left .... but would get away from your intended crop !!! Like it a lot !!!

Ken Watkins
07-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Marc,

Really great facial expression and she seems to have a full set of teeth. I think this may look a lot better as a vertical with the RHS edge including both legs, but the proportions maybe a little strange.

Hilary Hann
07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Marc, love this face … wonderful expression and clarity and that tongue is fantastic.

Rachel Hollander
07-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Marc - sorry, I didn't explain my suggestion for the crop clearly enough. As Ken said, I would include both front legs.

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-27-2010, 05:26 AM
Sorry Marc came in a bit late, does help when the icon isn't showing Al, any reason?

Marc the face does look quite contrasty with the blacks being quite strong, might ease off to get some more detail plus it might just help those eyes too. Could also try the Highlight/shadow tool to get some more detail out of the back of the mouth and nose. just have a play on a separate layer you will be amazed what you will get out from this image. ;)

Thought this might give more impact crop wise, WDYT?

TFS
Steve ;)

John Ippolito
07-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Wonderful expression and detail in soft light! I was thinking vertical with both legs, but Steve's crop looks pretty darned good. Really like this one.