PDA

View Full Version : No image to post (for obvious reasons)

Dick Ginkowski
03-07-2008, 12:08 AM
I went back to Homer and en route back to Anchorage last week stopped at the rest area where I took a nasty fall on ice and injured myself last year.

This year, I appropriately sought out and "commemorated" the exact spot.

There was less ice there when I was done, hence the absence of an image to share.

But the liberating experience (seriously) had some therapeutic value as did the fact that several of the people who helped me when I was wheeled into the Anchorage airport and onto my flight home were working again exactly one year later and I got a chance to thank them for their kindness.

Oh, yeah, Homer was OK but the number of visitng photographers is way, way, way down.

Sid Garige
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Good to hear homer is ok Dick. I am will be there from 12th to 17th of this month. Any tips?

Pete Woods
03-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Good to hear homer is ok Dick. I am will be there from 12th to 17th of this month. Any tips?

Don't slip on the ice like Dick ;)

Dick Ginkowski
03-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Sid, Where do I start?

At the airport, rent a mid-size or larger SUV (Ford Escape/Chevy Blazer) because you need enough space to work out of the rear and a rear window that will roll down. If you're lucky, you might snare an invite to Jean's deck in which case be prepared to freeze your buns off.

Arrive at Jean's way early to snare a good parking spot (back in) and you can shoot from the rear of your SUV. Don't get out of your vehicle when she's feeding or you will incur wrath.

Almost all focal lengths can and should be available, especially something like a 100-400 zoom plus a big gun. Your flash may get used and a Better Beamer will help those who use them.

There is a Safeway in Homer with prices identical to Anchorage but it's usually a good idea to stock up on what you need before leaving Anchorage. A good shopping area is Old Seward Highway south of Dimond.

Genearl itinerary: get up early and get in place to shoot. Shoot until about 1030 in the morning and break for lunch (Chinese buffet, McD's). Afternoon nap. Maybe some birds will be hanging around before sunset. Otherwise, have your wide angle ready for some nice sunset shots.

Probably the best place to stay is Ocean Shores but no wifi there. There is wifi at library, Washborad laundromat and at some restaurants.

Lots of interesting places for dinner. Typical Alaska high prices but a lot of food. If you go to Don Jose's you may pay $8-10 for an antree but won't be able to walk if you eat all of it. Fat Olive's has pricey pizza.

Starbucks in Safeway.

In your down time get to know the people and places of Homer. You'll soon be able to find what you need like a local.

Alfred Forns
03-07-2008, 09:36 PM

............................................. don't slip Sid !!!!

Glad you made it home Dick !!! Bummer on that fall and at the same place What are you doing next year?

Can not begin to imagine the frustration Dick !!! Sure hope you can make up the trip I know how much you enjoy going there !!!

Wishing you the best

Alfred

Fabs Forns
03-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear of your trouble, Dick, hope it will soon be one more travel anectode.

Red carpet welcome to BPN :)

Now I know what took you so long ;)

Dick Ginkowski
03-08-2008, 12:33 AM
............................................. don't slip Sid !!!!

Glad you made it home Dick !!! Bummer on that fall and at the same place What are you doing next year?

Can not begin to imagine the frustration Dick !!! Sure hope you can make up the trip I know how much you enjoy going there !!!

Wishing you the best

Alfred

Thanks for the good wishes.

Al, last year is when I fell.

This year is when I went back for the hair of the dog that bit me and I exacted my revenge, so to speak. :)

Dick Ginkowski
03-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Sorry to hear of your trouble, Dick, hope it will soon be one more travel anectode.

Red carpet welcome to BPN :)

Now I know what took you so long ;)

Thanks, Fabs. It was last year that I was banged up. This year went back and got my revenge! There was less ice at that spot when I got done christening it...and it was not with champagne. :D

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Dick so glad to hear that you were able to return after your fall and that you had the opportunity to make up for last year. Big welcome to BPN and no more ice !!!!!!

Sid Garige
03-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks Dick.