PDA

View Full Version : More Mudbath Fun

Ken Watkins
07-26-2010, 03:18 AM
Another shot from our amazing afternoon at Kennedy 2 Waterhole, Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe, 29th June 2010, 14.49.

EOS ID MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held from vehicle

F6.3, ISO 800, 1/640, EV +0.33

Harshad Barve
07-26-2010, 03:30 AM
OMG , he is enjoying like nothing :):):D:D:D
excellent details and loved the two tone type settings
TFS

PS , Looks soft to me but issue is of 199kb file , If we post below 195kb as pointed by Axel , we can see exact sharpness. After D/L this image I found it razor sharp in PS ,

Hilary Hann
07-26-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm not sure whether the tigers or these elephants are having more fun in the water! Excellent sighting Ken, you must have enjoyed this immensely.
Interesting point Harshad, on the sizing. I'm saving my next post at 195kb and will see if it makes a difference. Missed that post by Axel.

Ken Watkins
07-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Here is resize at 195, is there a difference?

Hilary Hann
07-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Ken, I have to be honest that I find it difficult to see a difference … perhaps one of the more tech savvy people will pick up any changes. I couldn't tell the difference on the cheetah post I made either! :confused:

Harshad Barve
07-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Definately look sharper at 160 Kb , I guess we need James to rescue us

Ken Watkins
07-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Harshad,

I must admot it looked slightly softer to me, processed from TIFF in usual manner and file size limited.

Hilary,

It seems like we have another puzzle?

Steve Canuel
07-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Ken,
A unique photo of one of these animals. I like the mud bath anchoring the bottom and the way the ears are wrapped around the neck.

Rachel Hollander
07-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Ken - I think this a fun behavior shot. Interesting how thin the tusks look from this perspective. I missed the post about size of image affecting sharpness. Will wait for more info as i always try to get my posts as close to 200kb as possible.

TFS,
Rachel

Alfred Forns
07-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm not understanding what is going on with the resizing at this time, will check with James see if we make sense of it !!!

One unusual pose and not sure if you could have worked in more of the bottom, sure makes for an interesting foreground Big Contrast in this one Ken !!

Ken Watkins
07-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Al,

One of the major problems at some of the Hwange waterholes is the old and dilapadated concrete structures built to contain the water in the old days, this why I could not get more foreground in this shot.

Many of the waterholes are filled by pumps, to ensure a regular supply for the immense Elephant population, very noisy and difficult to eliminate from video:D

The contrast is very high in RAW file, do you think it needs to be decreased?

Alfred Forns
07-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Harshad You can post at much smaller sizes and have razor sharp images. Check out the images in the Birds as Art Bulletins Most if not all at around 45kb to reduce size for mailing and they are all sharp !!!! Something else is going on if there is a decrease in sharpness !!!

Ken if you had any blown highlights is good to adjust in the conversion but doesn't seem to be the case here !!! Had no idea of the limitations for the foreground ... but happy for the eles !!!!