PDA

View Full Version : Blue on green - damselfly.

Daniel Cadieux
07-25-2010, 08:38 PM
This fella was kind enough to let me get close with extention tubes on the lens. Fighting for DOF, I was just happy to get a few images with the eyes sharp. On the other hand, the shallow DOF did permit a nice smooth green BG, created by very close foliage. I suppose with the tail end angled away I would have needed f/??? to get it all in focus anyhow:p.

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 @ 63mm + 36mm ET, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/250s., f/6.3, ISO 800, +1 EC, natural light, handheld, about 80% FF.

Charles Wesley
07-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Daniel,

Really like the limited DOF and nice colors on this one. It's another way of seeing IMO. Makes me concentrate my eye on the head and eyes.

Thanks for sharing...

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine Beach, FL
http://naturesphotographs.com

Mike Fuhr
07-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Daniel -- I have to say I had a negative impression based solely on the thumbnail, but when i looked at the full-size image my opinion changed. I really like the limited DOF. It seems to work on this one for me because of the detail on the head. A unique perspective on these little guys... :)

Steve Maxson
07-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Good sharpness around those bulging eyes and I like the way the front edge of the leaf leads your eye to the damselfly. I would prefer more DOF, but that's a matter of taste (and it might bring out undesired aspects of the background). You might consider a tighter crop to make the damselfly's head even more prominent in the frame.

Ken Childs
07-26-2010, 01:23 PM
I had the same reaction as Mike. I usually like bugs to be mostly in focus but I like this one better than expected. The important parts are nice and sharp. :)

Roman Kurywczak
07-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Hey Daniel,
You know I love more DOF.....but looking at your specs.....no realy good way to push this more and like the others.....feel you handled the DOF as good as it gets on the shallow end! Very nicely done and a bit of a different take!

Julie Kenward
07-27-2010, 07:26 PM
I agree with everyone else - you really made this one work, Daniel. I think more than anything I really like the exposure and the soft clean look of the image. The darker green on the right side upper and lower edges of the frame really adds a nice touch.