PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Guillemot Flying with Fish

Jim Neiger
07-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Shell Beach, CA - 1D4, 500mm, hand held, 1/2000, F5.6, ISO 800, manual exposure

Aidan Briggs
07-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Great job Jim! Nice light, pose, and exposure. Where in Shell Beach? I am guessing near the big sea stack right off the cliffside of that little park?

Krijn Trimbos
07-26-2010, 05:56 AM
Excellent action catpured Jim. Nice catch and good composition. It seems you were dealing with warm light here but on my work monitor it still seems you are dealing with a red/magenta cast here. I am not sure but think the feet should be more of a red/orange colour now they are red/pinkish......could be just my work monitor though. TFS

Arthur Morris
07-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Pose and fish and species amazing. Where was it flying up to? Did you get all your pix back? You did well with the sun out and a wet bird.

Jim Neiger
07-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Excellent action catpured Jim. Nice catch and good composition. It seems you were dealing with warm light here but on my work monitor it still seems you are dealing with a red/magenta cast here. I am not sure but think the feet should be more of a red/orange colour now they are red/pinkish......could be just my work monitor though. TFS

Krijn,

There is no red cast and the colors appear to be correct on my monitor.

Jim Neiger
07-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Pose and fish and species amazing. Where was it flying up to? Did you get all your pix back? You did well with the sun out and a wet bird.

Artie,

I was standing on the beach. The bird came in low and then rose up to it's nest hole in the cliff. I made the image just as he started to rise up to ge to the nest hole. We also phoptographed this species from a cliff top looking down on the nest holes. I haven't yet recovered my images. I have a data recopvery place in Orlando worksing on it. It's really going top cost me if they are successful. This image was on one of my flash cards from the second to last day I spent in CA. I have images that wee still on flash cards, but the ones on my hard drive only are in questio0n right now. I'm hopiong I'll get them all back even at the steep price.

Arthur Morris
07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Good luck. Maybe you should have called Robert.... He suggested that you buy another identical drive and simply swap out the HDs suggesting that the problem might have been with the electronics rather than the drive itself.

Jim Neiger
07-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Good luck. Maybe you should have called Robert.... He suggested that you buy another identical drive and simply swap out the HDs suggesting that the problem might have been with the electronics rather than the drive itself.

I tried that via a computer repair place here in Orlando, but that didn't work. The data recovery place has to do what they call a clean room recovery and it's expensive. The price started at $1200, but I talked them down to $900. I have about 12,000 images on the hard drive that I hope to recover. I've only seen about 75% of the images, but there are some in there that I really want.

Arthur Morris
07-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Good luck and a good lesson for everyone: our images need to be backed up in triplicate each day. I try to have one copy on my laptop and two others on Western Digital Passport external HDs. I firmly believe that folks needs to do their very best to keep up with editing (i.e., selecting the keepers) both at home and on the road (even when leading trips). Some folks do not like when I bring my laptop to lunch and dinner... :)

Bob Kothenbeutel
07-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Great capture and perfect exposure on this black bird. The feet look correct to me - they have the reddest feet of any bird I have seen/photographed.
Bob

Gal Shon
07-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Wonderful pose, exposure and light.
Lovely image of a beautiful bird