PDA

View Full Version : Passing On

Desmond Chan
07-25-2010, 05:38 PM
200-400 + D700 @ 330 on monopod . ISO 800 f5.6 1/1000s. Manual exposure mode.

Cropped to 60% of the original (in terms of square pixels aka area). Perhaps I should have moved in a bit closer (or used 400 instead :o) but I think there's always a limit on how close you should get when the baby is there.

Comments appreciated and thanks for looking !

PS By the way, as pointed out somewhere, the image looks softer once uploaded. And I noticed the file size somehow got shrinked...from about 200 to 57 ??

Jackie Schuknecht
07-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Great moment captured Desmond. I am wondering about more room left and right. Where did you take this?

Desmond Chan
07-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Where did you take this?

Reifel Sanctuary. Two were born but one didn't make it pass the first week. I missed the first week when the babies were really cute.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-25-2010, 06:05 PM
In Vancouver?????? Never heard of it.

Lance Peters
07-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi Desmond - too cute - love the inter action!
Both eyes visible;)
Good show!!

Dave Mills
07-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi Desmond, As Lance stated-love the interaction which in turn tells a story. You caught them at a good moment and they appear fairly sharp on my monitor.
Image is a bit tight but well handled!

Desmond Chan
07-25-2010, 11:54 PM
In Vancouver?????? Never heard of it.

Delta, BC.

http://www.reifelbirdsanctuary.com/

Thank you for the comments, folks !

Alfred Forns
07-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi Desmond The file reduction happen in saving to web? ... strange !!!!

Framing those guys is not easy since they keep moving looking for food, focal length wise going with 400 is best for flattening perspective but sure looks fine to me as presented !!! btw the ones in our area will walk right past you within feet without a care ... and there is a pair hanging around the drive-up window at Burger King ... hate to see that !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
07-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Looked it up, thanks Desmond. Was wondering where you found these cranes:)

Desmond Chan
07-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Desmond The file reduction happen in saving to web? ... strange !!!!

The file that I uploaded is still sitting on my harddrive and the file size says 201K. According to the attachment here it says 57K or something like that. I actually had uploaded another one and found that one looked soft and so I uploaded the one you guys are seeing now. The first one is larger than 200K and I got no error message from bpn saying file was too large.

btw the ones in our area will walk right past you within feet without a care ...

Ours are like that pretty much even though the Sanctuary always has a warning sign saying the cranes could be aggressive. This pair has a baby and one of the parents will come at you if you are too close. Still, if you have food in your hand, the parents still do not mind taking it from you. :)

Desmond Chan
07-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Looked it up, thanks Desmond. Was wondering where you found these cranes:)

They show up all year long :)