PDA

View Full Version : Sun, Sea and Sand

Steve Kaluski
07-25-2010, 09:42 AM
I think we all can relate this this one. :D

BTW The small black 'dots' are flies.

MKIII 500f/4 1/4000sec f/5.6 ISO200 (HH, almost FF)

Morkel Erasmus
07-25-2010, 12:34 PM
wish that was me just piling out in the sun on the beach :)

what makes this a stunner for me is the pose and the bright turquoise of the water in the BG - very nice Steve!

:cheers:

Harshad Barve
07-25-2010, 01:12 PM
boy-o-boy , what a stunning image this is , she/he stole my heart Steve
TFS

Alfred Forns
07-25-2010, 02:04 PM
... looks like a swimsuit calendar pose :) That animal knows how to pose !!! Like the stunning bg and overall feel !!!

Rachel Hollander
07-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Agree with the others. This is just a stunning image with a great bg.

TFS,
Rachel

Grace Scalzo
07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Perfect, Steve! What a treat to view with that nice pose and gorgous background color. Thanks for sharing it!

Hazel Grant
07-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Agree with above. And, into each life a few flies must come...:) Beautiful comp with the sky behind in glorious color!

Hilary Hann
07-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Steve, love the pose here and the background and even the flies. But I have one dilemma which may be my monitor?! :confused: This image looks quite flat and given that my cheetah portrait was considered to be too contrasty, I wonder if something is going on at my end. My monitor is calibrated professionally every year (i.e. not by me in case I stuff it up) but the cheetah didn't look too contrasty on my screen, and this beautifully composed seal looks quite dull. Some days I really don't love my computer at all!

Harshad Barve
07-26-2010, 02:45 AM
. Some days I really don't love my computer at all!

If I remember correctly, this happens if the image is larger than 195 kB. Cool find and setting, BTW.

One excellent tip from Axel , Hilary , better we save below 190 and more than 180Kb

Steve Kaluski
07-26-2010, 02:47 AM
When new Hilary, a monitor should be calibrated every 2-3 weeks and a few months later, once a month. A monitor will drift over time and needs to be calibrated constantly. There are various bits of kit out there such as Eye One, Spyder... which are excellent for calibration. They are easy to use and most will have a date reminder that will prompt you to calibrate. In addition I use colour profiles supplied by printers & when I print, so the colour matches the right output.

The blue IMHO is certainly not 'dull' :D

Hilary Hann
07-26-2010, 04:47 AM
Hi Steve, agree with comments re the monitor. Mine is quite old and hardly shifts from one calibration to another now. I always use colour profiles supplied by the printers and the art paper suppliers and don't have a problem with colour shifts. It has only been recently that I have seen some odd colour casts and contrasts on posted images which I haven't commented on because no one else seems to see them. Now, maybe is a good time to get that Eizo I have my eye on!! :D
Don't get me wrong, love the photo …

Steve Kaluski
07-26-2010, 04:57 AM
I would, I just picked up my 24" wide screen, love it, but it all comes at a price :D

One desk, two 24" monitors, almost virtual iMax cinema 360 degrees:D:D:D

Harshad Barve
07-26-2010, 05:06 AM

This is called as shear salt rubbing

Hilary Hann
07-26-2010, 05:15 AM
I would, I just picked up my 24" wide screen, love it, but it all comes at a price :D

Very nice … which Eizo did you buy. I've looked at two so far but remain undecided. My old G5 dual processor needs upgrading as well, I can't run Snow Leopard consequently can't upgrade to CS5.

Steve Kaluski
07-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Eizo ColorEdge CG245W - 24" Widescreen - Black :cheers:

Like you, my G5 is still chugging along likewise the 17" MacBook pro, but just bought another MacBook pro 15" Solid State for traveling, fast or what. it would give the Enterprize a run for it's money, warp speed:D

John Ippolito
07-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Stunning pose, and colors, Steve! It does have a SI swimsuit cover look to it:). Very well done.
"Eizo ColorEdge CG245W - 24" Widescreen - Black :cheers:"
Indeed a great monitor too!

Hilary Hann
07-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Eizo ColorEdge CG245W - 24" Widescreen - Black :cheers:

Like you, my G5 is still chugging along likewise the 17" MacBook pro, but just bought another MacBook pro 15" Solid State for traveling, fast or what. it would give the Enterprize a run for it's money, warp speed:D

Ah, the solid state MacBook pro - very nice. Good choice to go 15" rather than 17". Everyone warned me off the 17" due to the power required to run it. I wonder if you found any problems with battery drainage when travelling with your 17" MacBook pro. I don't travel with laptop because of the weight constraints, I just can't get my cameras and lenses under the 7kg carry on limit, let alone add a laptop. :( How do you do it?

I'll check my notes on the Eizo I was looking at. You are happy with it?

Steve Canuel
07-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Steve,
A great pose and some beautifully colored water. I suspect that this wasn't taken on the shores of the North Sea?

Steve Kaluski
07-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Hi Steve you are quite correct, it was on the shores of one of the Galapagos islands. To be honest it was one of the few days that there was brilliant sun. Ideal for this, but a nightmare for the Booby's etc, so the slight overcast days were much appreciated. :D

Hilary, I used to use Jobo GiGa pro & Giga one for all back-ups. Both failed during the trip to Svalbard so I never took the 17"!!! On really 'tight' flights certain bits of kit are put into Photo vests or a jacket as they don't weigh you, yet. On the bush planes that carry only a max of 4 people, my camera gear is booked and paid for as one person. Very, very happy with the Eizo, huge difference and a 5 year guarantee.

Steve

Hilary Hann
07-27-2010, 03:36 AM
Thanks Steve, I use the photo vests etc for carrying gear as well … glad I'm not the only odd looking passenger checking in! :p By all accounts from photographers here, the Eizo runs rings around the competition so glad to hear that you're happy with it too.