PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Tern

Rich Steel
07-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Hi

Another image from my recent trip to Norway. When we got back from the sea bird colonies on the island of Hornoya there were a few Arctic terns in Vardo Harbour so we stopped for a while to try and get some fishing photos.

Photograph taken with 1DmkIV and 500mm lens at ISO 400 F5.6 at 1/3200s.

Cheers

Rich

Harshad Barve
07-25-2010, 06:51 AM
lovely wing pose , fish , splash and BG colors , excellent image
TFS

Daniel Cadieux
07-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Timing, splashing action, and wiggling fish are all good. I find the water a bit bright and would eliminate the thin dark OOF strip at very bottom (between reflection and signature) to give that edge a cleaner finish.

Stu Bowie
07-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Great timing Rich, and good to see the trailing water from the exit. I like the low perspective, and the pastel colour of the water.

Doug Brown
07-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Nice timing, good eye contact, and nice sharpness. The bird seems a little underexposed to me against that bright water BG.

Arthur Morris
07-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Ditto the positives above. The image looked to have a huge BLUE cast on my new laptop so I opened it on the office machine and it looked even BLUE-er. The repost is a 67% Robert O'Toole color balance job as described in detail in Digital Basics.

Again I am confused as to why folks are not noting obvious color casts such as the one in this image :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-25-2010, 08:45 AM
All has been said . Love the timing and wonderful action you captured in this image Rich !!!

Rich Steel
07-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the comments and repost. The shift towards blue was done on purpose on my part to give it more of a cool arctic feel, may be I went too far.

Artie your repost seems to be a bit too far the other way as the tern seems to have a bit of a yellow -brown hue here on my monitor. Then again I have not calibrated it for a while and of most importance this post has made me recalibrate my monitor which I should have really done a while ago!

Cheers

Rich

Nico Steenberg
07-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Great timing. IMG is sharp with good colours.

arash_hazeghi
07-25-2010, 03:49 PM
very nice take off and splash Rich! the original looks a bit blue and Artie's repost looks a bit yellow, I prefer somewhere in between. TFS