PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Clouds

Judy Howle
07-24-2010, 09:50 PM
5D Mark II, 24 - 105 IS L, f/5 @ 35 mm, 1/50, ISO 400, no tripod

I used split-toning in Lightroom on this one.

Judy

Dave Mills
07-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi Judy,another very dramatic sky with an interesting building. The light has cast very nicely onto the building and is a counter balance to the red clouds. I also like the proportion of sky,water and land.
The only thing I would do is take out the small outcropping on the left. The image looks like it needs some CW rotation but I realize the shoreline perspective is changing...

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Judy, I agree with Dave on the protrusion.....just doesn't add IMO. I do think this one has better balance than the previous post.....with the house balancing the sky....opening the grasses and house a touch more may help even more....although may skew the balance that way.....so be careful with the amount. The URC would benefit from a bit of toning down but all in all a few small PP'ing tweaks will take this image up another notch.

Judy Howle
07-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks Dave. I agree about taking out the rocks outcropping. If I rotated the image the straight shoreline on the left which shows up much better in the large images I post on Zenfolio would skew upward. I did use transform warp a lot to straighten the building which was skewed badly clockwise and that was the best I thought could do at the time without messing up the image. I did rotate it a little and I believe I used warp on the right end to bring it back down. I'm sure someone who works with transform more than I have might know some tips do a better job and I'd be happy to learn them. I recently started using warp as opposed to skew and perspective and I like it better, what do you think?

Judy Howle
07-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks Roman. I'll try your suggestions. What is URC? Ultra Red Clouds? (grin)<g> I'm not familiar with all the abbreviations used in the forums although most I've figured out. A bit slow on the uptake sometimes...

If you re-post an image do you have to wait till the 24 hr limit is up?

Judy</g>

Dave Mills
07-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi Judy, URC means upper right corner. If you repost the same image in the same thread(for obviously a reason) your allowed to repost it in less than 24 hrs.

Judy Howle
07-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Here is a revised version of the image from scratch. I lightened it and did not do all the painted-on adjustments I had previously done in Lr and it came out quite different. Also transformed it twice and cloned out rocks.

Fabs Forns
07-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Very dramatic sky with greet colors and the soft kiss of light in the building really adds to the mood, congrats!

Judy Howle
07-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks Fabs!