PDA

View Full Version : It's Dinnertime

Joerg Rockenberger
07-24-2010, 03:25 PM
In-flight dinner service by a Forster's Tern to its kid. Photographed last Monday at Bolsa Chica Wetlands, Huntington Beach, CA.

I had precomposed and -focused (on the perch using one of the lower AF points) the scene and then triggered the shutter with a wired remote release when the adult was coming close. Worked like a charm. It was very helpful here that the wind came out of the south (late afternoon shot) and hence the adult always approached from the left.

Thanks in advance. JR

Canon 1DMk4 (rented), 500F4IS, Canon 1.4TC, 1/800s, F7.1, ISO 800, Manual Exposure, Gitzo tripod with Mongoose 3.5a

Pat Bonish
07-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Great detail in the wings!! Love this capture

Dick Glover
07-24-2010, 04:21 PM
This is super. The composition is great, your prefocus tecnique was right on, and your timing was perfect. I wonder if a little curves work might make the image even better. Thanks for sharing.
Dick

Sid Garige
07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Very nice details, timing and composition. Excellent job

Arthur Morris
07-24-2010, 07:47 PM
As above, everything is perfect. Except for the perch. If you go back, bring a scrub brush or seriously consider taping a more attractive but still substantial perch to the one in the image.

Troy Lim
07-24-2010, 09:57 PM
well executed, like the shot a lot. Could have been part of this month's motif.

Doug Brown
07-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Agree with Artie's critique. But unfortunately, there's no way to get to that perch if it's the one I'm thinking of (the one near the end of the bridge on the south side).

Joerg Rockenberger
07-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Agree with Artie's critique. But unfortunately, there's no way to get to that perch if it's the one I'm thinking of (the one near the end of the bridge on the south side).

Yes, it is the perch you're thinking of. No chance of changing it without upsetting numbers of birds - and a few folks... :)

Jim and you had good luck with the timing of your workshop as the weather this week was mostly overcast and not clearing at all the entire day for half the week. Envy you for your great images with magic light.

Best, JR