Richard Unsworth
07-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi

From my local hide.

Canon 40 D 100-400 IS 1/800 @285 mm 25 crop, F5.6 iso 400

Rich

James Salywoda
07-24-2010, 08:52 AM
I think you could probably sharpen a touch more and a little more eye contact would of been nice . Its still a nice look at this species.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi Rich, I echo Jim's comments re sharpening and perhaps a tad more contrast (curves should do it). You captured a very pretty pose here :)
Best,
Nicki

Richard Unsworth
07-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi

Thanks for tips, have sharpened more, bird only and added a wee bit more contrast; looks good.

Austin Thomas
07-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Hi Richard,

The repost looks better and the background looks good.

tfs

Austin

Richard Unsworth
07-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Hi Austin

yes I am happy with it now ;)

whereabouts are you?, this was taken at the Bunting Hide Penniongton Flash

Austin Thomas
07-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Hi Richard,

Same part of the world as you it would appear. It is a while since I went to Pennington but I pass it from time to time.
On your next trip I would try and find a smaller perch that the birds are landing on at Pennington. Often they will land somewhere close to their final feeding destination and sometimes wait on that nearby perch for the feeding area to become "free". I find smaller perches without the food source in view more attractive.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers

Austin

Richard Unsworth
07-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi Austin

Temporarily live in Newton, where I was brought up; sold up in Cornwall and now spend 6 months/year in Costa Rica.
Completely agree re perch took to practice exposure etc. There wasnt much around today except for magpies!

Rich

Arthur Morris
07-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Yes to setting up a more attractive perch a meter or so and just above the feeding perch... And possibly a bit more care in positioning same in front of a more even BKGR. The bird itself does look better in the repost.

Rich Steel
07-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi Richard

I have been to this hide and it is difficult to get clean and even background due to the way the perches are arranged but agree with Austin about trying to pick the bird up before it lands on the feed. I would suggest also that you aim for a little more head turn so there is more eye contact between viewer and the bird.

Cheers

Rich

Richard Unsworth
07-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi Rich

Yes , the perches are not set up for best photography. I take your point on the head turn - they just refuse to cooperate ;)

I will be able to go back any day the weather is good , its 10 mins away from me.

I appreciate all comments and feel I am making good progress, thanks to these critiques.

Rich