PDA

View Full Version : A Call from God

Richard Waas
07-24-2010, 06:58 AM
I photographed these Buddhist Monks in their morning prayer session. I didn't use a flash as to not disturb them and used ISO 3200 on my Canon 5D Mark II. I kept noticing that during this session the Monk closest to me kept looking down. If you notice he was reading from his iPod. Could it have been a direct link from above?

Richard Waas
07-24-2010, 07:00 AM
I meant iPhone.....

Alfred Forns
07-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Amazing the places they are turning up !! Sweet capture and you do make your way into amazing places !!!!

dawn campbell
07-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Interesting shot! Amazing that iPhones have permeated even these inner sanctums!

Did you apply some sort of glow filter to the image? It looks to me, working on a calibrated monitor, like there's a red color cast to it. The saffron robes look to be more red than they really are in real life, and their skin tones look a bit over-saturated and too red as well? I'm not sure if you applied any saturation, but my personal feeling would be that the level of saturation here is too high. It brings too much focus to the robes, when the real subject is the monks at prayer, and that would seem to call for something slightly more subdued? It also looks like the image is a bit skewed (the table along the middle right border of the image looks a bit crooked).

Other than that, great catch :O) Interesting that they pray on silk rugs....

Richard Waas
07-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Dawn, In fact I desaturated the slightly the reds and oranges. This was shot with a lot of warm light present and no flash, however, I did not spend a lot of time on this image and it is basically right out of the camera. In this forum I do very little work on the images. The real subject of this image is that the iphone was even in this scenario.

Harold Davis
07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
looking down at the iphone.....hmmmm......i'm betting he was watching a baseball game!!:D