PDA

View Full Version : Theme Galapagos 2010 #2: Flightless Mating Dance

Arthur Morris
07-23-2010, 06:04 PM
While photographing from a panga (Zodiac) at Punta Vincente Roca, Isabella on the Galapagos cruise, we were fortunate to come across two Flightless Cormorants performing their rarely seen mating dance. At times, they would run across the water in a fashion similar to Western Grebe. I was unable to create a good image of that.

This one was created with the handheld Canon 400mm f/4 IS DO lens and the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1.800 sec. at f/5 in Tv mode with ISO safety shift enabled. (Set an adequate shutter speed, dial in the compensation, and let the camera set the needed ISO. Great for working from a boat boat :))

Dick Glover
07-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Artie,

Great to see this interaction and the mesmerizing eyes against the perfect detail in the blacks of the head really draw my attention. The water adds to the beauty of the image and the bubbles/ripples make it come alive. I did find the light streaks at the top right and top left slightly distracting, but not for long, the eyes keep pulling me back.

The Galapagos is such a special place, and every time I see your images from trips there, I yearn to go back and see if I could do more with the photographic opportunities. Thanks for sharing and please keep them coming.

Dick

Manos Papadomanolakis
07-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I really like the action,eye color and the bubbles/ripples are a big bonus!!!

Rich Steel
07-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Hi Artie

Given that not many people have been to the Galapagos, I suspect this behaviour has probably been rarely photographed.

I really like the action you have captured here and the birds pop nicely from the image. Its never easy photographing from a rocking boat and an interesting technique in terms of settings.

Cheers

Rich

Joe Senzatimore
07-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Beautiful image and action CAPTURED. EYE CONTACT AND DEAILS KEEP THE VIEWER IN THE IMAGE. I MIGHT CONSIDER TAKING OUT THE 2 WHITE SPOTS IN THE UPPER RIGHT AND LEFT AS THEY DO DRAW THE EYE A BIT. NOT ENOUGH TO KILL SUCH A FINE IMAGE , BUT JUST A BIT DISTRACTING , IMHO. STILL GOTTA SAY COMGRATS ON AN IMAGE NOT OFTEN SEEN.

Arthur Morris
07-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks all for your comments. I am not aware of this behavior having been photographed before :) As for the larger sky reflections along the top, I actually like them as they help move the viewer's eye around the frame. In addition, I have been trying to do less to my images lately. Joe, I will see you up there mid-August. Is there an August meeting?

James Salywoda
07-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Excellent shot Artie! Well done capturing the dance especially on a species I've never seen anything of doing this behavior. :)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Beautiful Artie - I love the water particularly, and those eyes...:)
Best,
Nicki

Arthur Morris
07-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks Nicki. Here is a better look at their amazing eyes. There are only 1900 pairs or 1900 birds of this species all in the western part of the Archipelago.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks Artie - just stunning!

Austin Thomas
07-24-2010, 02:24 PM
I really like the eye colour and behaviour in the original image Artie.
I would darken the two lighter patches in the top half of the image, it pulls my eye away from the action slightly.

Cheers

Austin

denise ippolito
07-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Artie, It was indeed a special treat to watch these two dance in the water with such affection for each other. Very nice sharp details and color tones.

Krijn Trimbos
07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
A nice behavioral shot! Artie, personally I would do some rework on the light patches in the BG on the right and upper left but apart from that this is some amazing stuff. Love the interaction and painterly water!

arash_hazeghi
07-24-2010, 11:45 PM
interaction and super blue eyes make this one stand out. TFS

Stu Bowie
07-25-2010, 02:23 AM
I like the similar head angles and postures, and those eyes stand out so well. If this was mine, I would move them back to the right a little.

Arthur Morris
07-25-2010, 04:08 AM
Thanks all and Stuart. Moving them to the right would place the bubbles to close to the frame edge :)

Stu Bowie
07-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Thanks all and Stuart. Moving them to the right would place the bubbles to close to the frame edge :)
Fair enough Artie. What I had in mind was the edge of the bubbles against the edge of the frame.

Arthur Morris
07-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Fair enough Artie. What I had in mind was the edge of the bubbles against the edge of the frame.

I don't like anything too close to the edge of the frame :) and I have already taken some off the right :) The birds were actually moving at a pretty good clip :)