PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian beauty

Hazel Grant
07-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Can't remember the name of this one, but saw a lot of them in Hawaii. Anyone know? Corrected a few torn places in the leaves in PS, slight saturation. no crop. 1/80,f 3.6, iso 200, focal length 12.9

dawn campbell
07-23-2010, 05:18 PM
That's a bromeliad of some kind, but not sure of the specific variety. Beautiful colors in it!

Dave Mills
07-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi Hazel, looks like it's from the Neoregelia or Achmea family. There are numerous hybrids so it makes it very difficult to identify. Many years ago I collected them and had over 150 species.
These plants are epiphetic which means they hold water in the center of the plant and their roots are used to cling on trees.

Julie Kenward
07-24-2010, 08:30 AM
These are lovely colors! Two things that might have improved on this one...a slightly different angle (in my min I'm thinking directly on top looking down) and the inclusion of the tip of the leaf that's out of the frame. I like the dark rock anchoring the image.

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi Hazel,
I'm with Jules on this one.....although stright down to see the center may also have owrked but the leaf clipping is unfortunate as you had the room up top. I do have a question for you.....were you able to police/clean up the area at all? Often times I spend more time removing some of the distraction on the ground then actually photographing......just something to keep in mind in the field.

Hazel Grant
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah, sad about that stem. Thought about deleting it but it would have made the whole thing out of balance. I'll keep the looking straight down thing in mind. No, I didn't have to police the area. This was in the garden of a restaurant that keeps its ground well manicured. Usually, though, I know, I have to watch out for distracting pieces of "stuff" there.