PDA

View Full Version : Beagle Canal, Argentina

Dale Benham
07-23-2010, 10:46 AM
This was shot in the Parque Nacional in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina looking out over the Beagle Canal with the Chilean Andes in the background. This was a pan merge of 7 photos and processed in PS with topaz adjust filter to bring out the shadows and darken the sky.

Canon XSi, 24-70mm @ 24mm; f/5.6, 1/125 ISO 100 polarizing filter.

Most interested in compositional critique but open to all comments:D

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Hey Dale,
I do think the sky is a bit dark in a few areas.....mostly in the blues of the upper frame edge....from the center to the left. For me compositionally....I would have preferred this w/o the shoreline on the right. Even though you opened up the area nicely....it overposers the scene for me so going just to the left of the tree tunk of the darker tree....works best for me....but let's see what others chime in. overall though....this was stitched very nicely and really shows the scene very well.

Dave Mills
07-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Dale,you handled the stitching well and show good detail. Agree with Roman regarding toning down a few small areas of very dark blue. A polarizer can sometimes makes blues quite dark.
I had mixed feelings regarding the scene and wasn't quite sure until I realized the shoreline is quite strong while still showing alot of blank water. I think Roman's crop suggestion is a good one however I might not go as far as he. I might crop to a bit to the right of the first foreground white rock. This will still give you a shoreline but reduce some of it's dominance. Not an easy call...

Hazel Grant
07-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Agree with Dave's remark about too much blank water. Great stitching. Like the contrast of the mtns with the green shore. I do have a question about how you posted this, though. I have tried posting panos and can't seem to get past the limitations of size. What size did you post this at? Seems that if you did the 1024 limitation of width, you'd have a very very low height left. I haven't found the key to posting panos on BPN so would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Dale Benham
07-25-2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the comments. I followed Dave's suggestions for cropping and lightened the blues in the sky and I like the feel much better; it kept the expanse without sacrificing the rocks and the small bay with the green water (which caught my eye when I was there). Here is the repost.

Hazel, my pan is about a 1:3 ratio, so when I resize to 1024 pixel width, yes the height will be small, 340 pixels but the small height is not a problem.

Dave Mills
07-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Nice job Dale...

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2010, 08:39 AM
I too like the lightened blues! Nice job following th esuggestions and glad you like it more now!