PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bear with Fish - Does this crop work?

Rachel Hollander
07-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Taken at Brooks River Falls in Katmai National Park, Alaska. I captured this just after the bear caught the fish and turned to run with it. Unfortunately as he turned to the camera the 300 was too much lens and I caught off some of the bear. Let me know if you think this crop works. I'll post the original photo below in case someone has any better ideas.

Canon 50D
300 2.8 IS
1/2700
f 4.0
ISO 400
From the platform on a tripod.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
07-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Here's the original photo uncropped. Thanks again,

Rachel

Don Railton
07-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi Rachel

Great shot..! Brown? bears are a bit thin on the ground in Australia so I am very envious..
I think I like to crop somewhere between the first and second posting, ie cropped to the RHS of your name. This puts the bear in context a little better IMO and better satifies the ROT but lets see what the proffesionals think.. There is a little blury spot over the bears RHS eye ... Is this water on the lens or on the fur?

Love to have a chance to take shots like this..

TFS

DON

David Thomasson
07-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Great catch for you, Rachel. (For Bruno, it's routine.)

I cropped with the idea of revealing a little more context ...

http://a.imageshack.us/img203/8356/bearxx.jpg

Jackie Schuknecht
07-22-2010, 07:27 PM
I like your crop Rachel, just wish you had the whole ear! Lucky you to have witnessed this.

John Goldman
07-22-2010, 08:56 PM
I much prefer your first crop. For me, the tighter crop still retains enough of the environment which is turbulent raging water and brings better attention to the animals behaviour.

Lance Peters
07-22-2010, 10:05 PM
OP for me also :)
Works for me - a little soft perhaps.
But great feel and love the action - the splash of red roe adds immensely.
Well done!

Harshad Barve
07-23-2010, 08:22 AM
I am here with David , excellent moment and fantastic re post by David , I liked wider perspective
TFS

Dave Mills
07-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi Rachel, another vote for the OP. Dave's repost further cropped the ear which I wouldn't do since most of the ear is showing in the OP. Good action and story telling image with even lighting.
Might want to try a round of sharpeninig...

Rachel Hollander
07-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the votes and comments. Don - I think the spot is water on the fur. Lance and Dave - I'll do another round of sharpening.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Richard Waas
07-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Fabulous image Rachel. I vote for the OP as well. I'm hoping that I get to see some of these bears when I go to Alaska next summer.

Rachel Hollander
07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks Richard. To really see bears you need to include a trip to one of the known bear viewing areas or lodges. This usually involves a floatplane trip or a boat. It looks like lots of BPN members have gone this year so if you have any questions just fire away.

Rachel