PDA

View Full Version : Monarch On The Way Repost... My Bad

Charles Wesley
07-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm working on several photo projects this summer. This one is to photograph the life cycle of a Monarch ( Danaus plexippus ) butterfly. This is a chrysalis. It is 7/8" in length. Got lucky after three attempts to get a catepillar to attach to my corn plant. Ken's advise was most welcome.

The catepillar was around 2" before begining the process. My two host plants are swamp milkweed and butterfly weed. The cacoon is pale jade- green in color as seen in my natural window lighting set up. Want to use live view for my next photos since my viewfinder was darken from stopping down so far. Hope to be home to photograph the emerging Monarch in about two weeks.

Canon EOS 5D Mk ll, Canon 25 mm. ET, Canon 1.4 TC, Sigma 180 mm. f/ 3.5 APO HSM DG macro lens and my Bogen tripod. My exposure was 10 secs. @ f/20.0 ISO 1000.

Canon DPP
Topaz Denoise 4.0
PS/ CS 4
Nik Efex Color Pro 3.0
FocalBlade

Julie Kenward
07-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! Gorgeous, Charlie! Look at how the chrysalis radiates light! It's super sharp, beautifully exposed and the greens are fantastic. I might take a bit off the bottom but that's such a minor point. I cannot wait to see the rest of the series as it unfolds!

Charles Wesley
07-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Jules,

Thanks for the kind comments. May not be home when the Monarch exits the pupa. I work a PT job. Can't wait for more to happen...

Anita Bower
07-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Very nice! Lovely soft light and the black bg is perfect. I look forward to further shots.

Ken Childs
07-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! Gorgeous, Charlie! Look at how the chrysalis radiates light! It's super sharp, beautifully exposed and the greens are fantastic. I might take a bit off the bottom but that's such a minor point. I cannot wait to see the rest of the series as it unfolds!
Ditto that!

Allen Sparks
07-23-2010, 09:58 AM
beautiful shot. Love the subject placement and the greens. You used a Canon 1.4x TC with a Sigma 180 macro lens? how did you do that? I did not think those were compatible.

Steve Maxson
07-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Love the greens and the sharpness, Charles. I'm not a big fan of black backgrounds - but that appears to be a minority opinion. :) I hope you get to see and capture the emergence.

OvidiuCavasdan
07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Beautiful greens and like the black BG, sharp. Just thinking about the thin black sliver above the leaf on left...just a bit more ...or with the green on the edge of the frame...I dont know...but this is a thought, the image is very nice and I like it a lot.

Charles Wesley
07-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Allen I placed a Canon 25 mm ET attached to the lens and the Canon 1.4 TC attached to the camera. I need to buy a Sigma TC.

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Hey Charles,
Late to the party......I'm fine with the black BG and think it will work nicely with the series......I hope you are able to get it emerging! I do think a bit more room above and less below would further strengthen the image.....light is just fantastic!

Charles Wesley
07-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Roman,

Thanks so much for the kind remarks. I do tend to shoot my images on the loose side...