PDA

View Full Version : Bison charges touron in YNP

Andrew Merwin
07-22-2010, 07:50 AM
In spite of amenities, parking lots, etc., photographing in YNP is truly photographing in a wilderness as this news story & video clip demonstrates. This is an perfect example of touron stupidity to the max. Note the stick that bounces of the bison's back just before it bucks & charges. I hope these tourons were ticketed & fined for this moronic behavior.
Andrew

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11667941

Charles Glatzer
07-22-2010, 10:24 AM
And, you can bet it will not be the last time. Disney syndrome strikes again.

Best,

Chas

Sandra Nykerk
07-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Andrew, thanks for this. It certainly puts a different spin on the official press release that a woman was injured "when a bison appeared in some nearby brush and charged them," doesn't it? I probably shouldn't be so surprised that someone would throw anything at a bison, but I am just dumbfounded.

Rich Phalin
07-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I watched the video closely and it looked like the stick came off the bison's horn when he flipped his head back. I thought he threw at him to.

Andrew Merwin
07-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I watched the video closely and it looked like the stick came off the bison's horn when he flipped his head back. I thought he threw at him to.

FROM KSL WEBSITE THURSDAY:
Woman captures footage of being attacked by bison
July 21st, 2010 @ 9:55pm
By Sandra Yi

UPDATE: After our video story aired last night, viewers e-mailed us about an object that appeared to be thrown at the bison.

Cathy Hayes says, there was one other car in the area, before the buffalo charged.

She believes someone in that car threw a stick at the animal. She says the stick is coming from the direction of that car.

"It wasn't until after I saw the video on TV and on HD that I saw the stick coming from that direction," Hayes said. "That's what agitated the buffalo, not us."

She said the car took off when the buffalo charged her. She would like them to come forward and at least apologize.

William Malacarne
07-22-2010, 02:45 PM
When I first saw this I thought it looked as if it was thrown....I then went full screen with it (not real good quality) and it looks as if the bison threw it up with his horns. I am pretty sure that since the question was asked that she would say that someone they can't find threw it. But then that is just my opinion.

Bill

John Chardine
07-22-2010, 03:02 PM
The press "take" is interesting and predictable- vicious wildlife attacking helpless public with no blame being laid at the feet of the humans responsible for this.

Sometimes I really think there is no hope for us as a species.

Jamie Strickland
07-22-2010, 03:03 PM
looks to me like someone threw it on a big screen, but its quite hard to tell for sure

either way they were far to close to it, everytime I goto YNP it amazes me how braindead some people are they think they are in a petting zoo !

Jackie Schuknecht
07-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Duplicate John C's sentiments exactly. Some people just need to stay in their own homes, they are a danger to everyone.

Roger Clark
07-22-2010, 11:43 PM
That turned out pretty well for all compared to what might have happened.

For some interesting reading on the stupidity of people, check out the book Death in Yellowstone. The only problem is you know the outcome of every story.

Roger

Jamie Strickland
07-23-2010, 07:56 AM
lol to true Roger, I picked up the book when I was out there a few months ago, some of them are a little nuts

Ben Harris
07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
So close, Mr Darwin, so close.

Alfred Forns
07-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the link Andrew !!! Just the sight of the tourist wouldn't have made the animal charge ... I think the stick did it but there was no reason to approach the animal the way they did .. particularly the rapid movement toward the animal.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-28-2010, 03:52 AM
The stick was thrown at the Bison. An utterly stupid thing to do, same as that of moving close to the bison on foot. We often find such morons trying to click pictures of wildlife with their mobile phones. Not sure how to educate them all.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi