PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Grass

Susan Griffith
07-21-2010, 11:42 PM
I was out for a walk this evening enjoying the bird songs and walking around with my camera. This image just caught my eye. I cropped a little of the top and a little off the bottom to try to frame things in a little more interesting way and remove one small distracting element. What can I say, i like this natural arch. CC always welcome and very much appreciated.

5DM2
EF 100mm F2.8L Macro
f5.6, ISO 2000, 1/125
Evaluative metering

Kaushik Balakumar
07-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Liked the arch-like curve here. Might increase the DOF to keep the entire stem sharp.
But to be honest, from overall perspective, I feel that this image is not so strong. It looks plain and flat to me.
Was it possible to light it in some way to create more drama ? Or may be trying out some other angle to find interesting OOF patterns in BG...?
Just my personal thoughts.
Would wait for experts to pitch in.

Ken Childs
07-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Susan, with a few small tweaks this will be a very pleasing image. Try cropping some from the left and right and increase the contrast quite a bit.

Julie Kenward
07-22-2010, 07:41 AM
I agree - I thought a closer side crop would be nice as soon as I opened the image. I like the horizontal sweep of the plant but it is rather flat and dull - a reflector in the field or a curves tweak in pp can probably supply more pop. Another trick would be to use the brush to grab a middle tone of green and lightly swirl the BG colors together so they weren't quite so blotchy.

Anita Bower
07-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Graceful it is. I like the simplicity. Brightening it up a bit will make it pop.

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Hey Susan,
Glad to see someone else playing with high ISO's:D! I like the arch and OK with the pano (quite fond of them).....but do agree with the added pop! Jules recommendation of the diffuser or even flash in the filed would also work and just some thoughts to keep in mind for next time out!