PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a flash bracket.

Steve Holmes
01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm looking to move to the full Wimberley from a Sidekick, and I'd love some advice on a flash bracket. I haven't been using flash with my setup, but I would like to start.

It looks like the two best options are the F-9 and the F-1. As far as I can tell, the main difference is the F-9 mounts to the Wimberley and the F-1 mounts to the lens. What are the pros and cons of each? Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Sid Garige
01-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Steve,

With sidekick you should already have M1 and M3. Adding M2 will complete F-1 setup. Looks like an economical solution.But, F-1 mounts on lens quick release plate and will be an issue if you want to change lens quickly. F-9 mounts on gimbal head and changing lens will not be an issue. If you carry multiple lenses I suggest getting a F-9. If not F-1 should do fine. I know couple of photographers who had this issue while carrying 500mm and 100-400mm on board walks.

David Kennedy
01-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Personally, I prefer the Really Right Stuff flash brackets, but I know that I'm also in the minority ;)

Rich Ikerd
01-03-2008, 03:51 PM
I'll weigh-in on the RRS brackets as well. One piece, you can add additional flash attach points if you want/need multiple flashes. Check them out before you make a final decision.

Steve Holmes
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Which RRS brackets do you like? It looks like there are 3 different sizes. Would one size work on different lenses, for example a 500mm and a 400/5.6?

Thanks,
Steve

Eric Wikander
01-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I use the F-1 and a Buddy uses the F-9. They both have their + and - 's..I like the F-1 because I can handhold the lens with the flash bracket as one package.

Steve Holmes
01-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Any more opinions? I'm still trying to decide b/w the Wimberley and RRS brackets.

Thanks,
Steve

Jim Caldwell
01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I can't weigh in on the difference between Wimberly and RRS, but I do prefer a bracket that attaches to the lens so when I remove the camera and lens from the tripod for handheld shots, or to use off the tripod, the flash goes with it!

David Kennedy
01-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Which RRS brackets do you like? It looks like there are 3 different sizes. Would one size work on different lenses, for example a 500mm and a 400/5.6?

Thanks,
Steve

You need the largest one they make for the 500mm. It could be used on a smaller lens, although it would look pretty ridiculous. However, flash is going to be more useful on the 500mm any ways.