PDA

View Full Version : Turks-cap Lily

Myer Bornstein
07-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Wandering through the woods this morning on a humid, damp, cloudy day the Turks-cap Lily was a very bright spot in this dreary day. Taken with my Nikon D300s, Nikon 80 to 400 lens, adjusted in Lightroom with a small crop. Because of that being dark in the woods ISO 800 F8 1/250 sec. At 400 mm

Roman Kurywczak
07-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Hey Myer,
That's quite the beauty! I think the light is pretty good....especially on the top of the bloom.....if you had used a reflector to bounce some up into the underside....this would move up a few nothces even more! I may have preferred this with a little less of the BG.....but it does convey the sense of lushness.....as presented, see if you can bring up the underside some in PP'ing.....will help a ton.

Julie Kenward
07-22-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm with Roman - I love the light on the plant but the rest feels way too dark IMO. I'd love to have seen more of a diffused BG instead of one taken almost all the way to black. If you can't bring up the dark areas any then you might try toning the greens down a bit - I think that way they won't compete with the reds quite as much and leave the focus more on the flower itself. Lovely image, Myer...just needs a bit more light!

Anita Bower
07-23-2010, 06:25 AM
What a treat to see this flower in the woods. I like your composition. The color of the flower is gorgeous. The main thing that bothers me are the very bright, saturated greens in the BG. Thanks for sharing.

Myer Bornstein
07-25-2010, 03:52 PM
here is a reworked image Is it better?

Anita Bower
07-25-2010, 06:11 PM
You did a wonderful job of lightening the bottom part of the lily. I'm not sure how I feel about the BG. It is different from the original post, and I prefer this version. I think the greens may still be a bit too distracting for me, but let's see what others think.