PDA

View Full Version : Wind Point Lighthouse

David Kennedy
03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Wind Point Lighthouse, Racine, Wis.
Canon 5D, 24-70mm f/2.8 L @ 45mm, 1/125 sec. @ f/8, ISO 160

I was out yesterday testing out a 40D from CPS. I had packed it up and switched back to my 5D and captured this one just as I was about to leave for the day. Walking was difficult as we've had a lot of snow up here, plus rain, then overnight lows in the teens, then more snow, and then it was 40 degrees yesterday, so I was walking on what felt like a melting glacier. The flow you see in the foreground is a layer of water on top of a bed of ice. Because it was so slick I had to use my tripod like a walker--I'd stick it a foot or two in front of me and then hold on to it as I made my next steps!!!!!!

Harold Davis
03-06-2008, 02:13 PM
that's a beautiful scene david. no complaints from me. looks perfect! be careful on that ice!!!

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2008, 03:57 PM
This one is nice David. I like how the diagonal lines of the trees lead right to the lighthouse. I am guessing that was not happenstance. :)

David Kennedy
03-06-2008, 05:36 PM
This one is nice David. I like how the diagonal lines of the trees lead right to the lighthouse. I am guessing that was not happenstance. :)

Whatever do you mean? :p

Oh, all right...it's a public golf course!!!

Bob Ettinger
03-07-2008, 02:45 PM
The clouds, water flow and composition work perfectly

Chris Ober
03-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Beautiful scene. I think cropping off a bit of the empty white on the bottom helps.

john crookes
03-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Fore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice sky and scene.

Just a slight ccw rotation neede to set this just right

Christof Ruch
03-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Wonderful, definitely like it! Do agree to the CCW, that was the first thing on my mind.
Cheers,
Christof

David Kennedy
03-16-2008, 07:01 PM
thanks for the commentary! I just thought I should note that I checked and it is, in fact, level (the blue on the horizon is Lake Michigan and leveled he image bases on it)

john crookes
03-16-2008, 10:06 PM
hmmmmmmmmm I leveled the same way and found a slight ccw needed of about 0.23 ccw

David Kennedy
03-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Sorry, all, but I figured out why you don't think it's level care of John's posting. The blue of the lake actually continues behind the lighthouse, but on the tiny screen sample here that is hard to tell. If you zoom into it you will notice it more. Here's what I'm talking about! ;)

john crookes
03-17-2008, 09:55 AM
It is still a great picture David and as you can see in my repost below with straight perpendiculsr paths that touch your level line on the left but rises slightly on the right shows just a bit of ccw needed

I am sorry I forgot that snap lines do not show on the final image but it is a true way of leveling

after you draw a straight line on your horizon with the ruller tool you can then use the snap line tool to check the levelness of your ruler line

it is only a very slight change almost imperceivable to the naked eye

Christof Ruch
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi David,

I think you're right, and what makes us think of a CCW rotation is actually the image "leaning" slightly to the right. I had the same effect in landscapes before, and I think it is caused by a diagonal that is created by the tree tops - if you connect those, you get a diagonal line the descents to the right, and the eye wants to level this out.

Thinking about this, how about lessening this effect by cropping slightly from the right? I am at my desk right now so can't demo, hope it makes sense what I am saying.

Christof