PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Falls

Sarah Jessup
03-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I made this image while looking for the trails less traveled in Yellowstone. Sunrise. the mists are from surrounding geysers.
Nikon D200 with 28-70 2.8 lens at 70 mm, ISO 100, f 13, 1/8 sec

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Sarah,

You did an exceptional job here in the composition and the mood is wonderful. Getting of the beaten path pays off.

I might have preferred to see the framing lower to include more of the interesting falls at the bottom and less gray sky at top. However, not standing there myself, I cannot be sure that going lower was an option - just something to consider.

The image appears to be right out of camera w/o processing. I took a look at a previous post of yours (Sage Grouse) and that looks great. So not sure what happened. I did a post-processing on it (below) as follows (assumes Photoshop):

Local Contrast Enhancement using USM 20% amount and 60% radius and 0 threshold
Levels adjustment to open up the tonal range as well as gray point balance using the gray eye dropper.
Aggressive Curves adjustment. This block up some of the shadows.
Returned to Levels and lightened it using the mid-tone slider.
Shadows/Highlights and increase amount of shadows sliders to open up the dark shadows in the image at 25% tonal range. I also increased the mid-tone contrast while doing that adjustment.
Selective Color with 2% black added to black and neutral channels.

I hope you like the results. On the original, it will work out even better.

David Kennedy
03-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I think Robert has shown you a really good direction in which to take this image. I would echo his idea of focusing more on the lower portion of the image and excluding some of the sky--a good note for future reference.

I feel slightly off balance in looking at the photo, and wonder if you used a bubble level or if it's just that all of the lines really were kind of crazy. I think a counterclockwise rotation of a few degrees might help set it right.

Sarah Jessup
03-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Robert,
Thanks for your comments. I was torn over the amount of processing to do with this image, as the original one actually looked more like the early morning scene, and, to me, some of my feeling was for the muted character imbued by the mist That said, your version does have impact. I might work on something in between.
Sarah

Bret Edge
03-07-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm really enjoying this composition and the mood created by the mist, Sarah. It appears to be tilted CW, though. I would prefer a version somewhere between your original and the re-work as I think you're right, the muted color palette really sets the mood. Perhaps just a slight contrast boost is all it needs? At any rate, it's a really beautiful location and you've certainly done it justice.

Sarah Jessup
03-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Bret, David and Robert,
I processed another image that incorporates a bit more of the lower part of the falls and removed some of the sky. I also adjusted it to something between the original and Robert's adjustment. I'm not yet sure how I feel about the composition. I'd welcome feedback.
Sarah

Harold Davis
03-08-2008, 04:18 PM
hi sarah, i like your pic. it still needs 4.09 degrees of CCW rotation.

Robert Amoruso
03-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Sarah,

I like the recrop a lot. I would suggest that the trees poking in from the upper right can go. Harold's comment is based on the tilt of the trees (I get 4.11 degrees). I rotated it and it does look good so I suggest that you do that as well.

I really like the artful post-processing. The fog is really obvious in the image and the mood is retained over my processing which was more geared to increase contrast and dramatic effect which subdue the fog greatly. I like what you did to the image. Well done.

gary rouleau
03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Repost is nicer -well done.