PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Stroll

Rachel Hollander
07-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Taken at Brooks Lodge in Katmai National Park, Alaska. I was on my way to the beach to take some wideangle shots of the lake and snow capped mountains but this bear's stroll meant I had to wait. Not sure if this qualifies as wildlife or landscape (and yes I've read the sticky :)).

Canon 50D
16-35 @ 35mm
1/500
f6.3
ISO 640
Handheld, circular polarizer filter

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Lance Peters
07-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Hi Rachel - like the way the road leads you into the scene and to the bear strolling along the shore.

Might need a little CW rotation - the horizon line does not look straight to my eyes - could use a little more sharpening - looks a little soft - I cant seem to decide were the actual point of focus is here. (As in were the camera actually placed the point of focus)

ETL caters as the place to learn for all image types - Will be interesting to see Daves comments!!

Jamie Douglas
07-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Quiet stroll down to the beach with a nice wide angle and no tele and what do you come across:) I like how the image captures the hide up the trail until the bear passes situation.

Dave Mills
07-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi Rachel,interesting image seeing the bear framed in this manner. Agree with Lance regarding the clockwise rotation.
When you see a shot like this one generally doesn't pay attention to the light angle at the time since this isn't a stationary landscape. Would of liked a better angle but understand why not.
I also noticed you didn't center the path and left a bit more on the left which generally is a plus compositionally. In this case I could go either way with some cut off the left or as is.
All in all the strong interest the bear brings to the image IMO overides some of the technical difficiencies...

Rachel Hollander
07-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks Lance, Jamie and Dave. THe Af point is on the bear's torso. Here's a repost with the horizon leveled and another round of sharpening. Let me know if it is better. Thanks,

Rachel