PDA

View Full Version : Calving Glacier

Rachel Hollander
07-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't normally do a lot of landscape shots but a recent trip to Alaska gave me quite a few opportunities. Here's one in a series of a calving Harvard Glacier in Prince William Sound.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 180mm
1/1600
f 5.0
ISO 400
Aperture Priority

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Ian Cassell
07-20-2010, 06:13 PM
It's a shame you can't pin the sound to the image :)

Great image showing the blue glacial ice. You might consider removing that clump of ice in the foreground. I was there a year ago and am STILL sorting through my images.

Dave Mills
07-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi Rachel, good overview of a section of the glacier with the different colors and textures. Added interest that you caught the ice falling and creating a splash though small in the frame.
Shooting landscapes at F5 can be a problem if you want good DOF whereby the whole image is sharp. You were probably on a boat shooting this and I don't know if they allow tripods but it's adviseable whenever you can to use one.
It seems like at 1/1600 you had some room to move the F stop tp F8 or 11.
I could take or leave the foreground ice...

Nick Palmieri
07-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Agree on removing the ice in the FG. Also agree with Dave regarding the f/stop. Pretty neat capture!

Roman Kurywczak
07-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Rachel,
Very good advice given above on the DOF.....but pretty sharp through most of the image....so OK as presented. I would definitely get rid of the lower ice...cropping just above the open water.....connects the scene for me better.....I like the falling ice and the splash really adds to the overall scene. All in all I think you composed this very nicely!

Rachel Hollander
07-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Not sure why I had the aperture where I did. Dave - I don't like using a tripod on a boat. I find with the way these small boats move around and the fact that the action can be anywhere, a tripod only slows me down and limits me. Much easier to move and shoot around people without the tripod.

I tried a crop without the floating ice in the fg but I much prefer the original. Here it is. Please let me know if it is not what you had in mind. Thanks again,

Rachel

Dave Mills
07-22-2010, 12:00 PM
H, I didn't recommend you do this but I would like some of the ice in the foreground...(what I meant was the ice closest to the bottom edge I could take or leave)