PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise on Crooked Lake Wisconsin

Dale Benham
07-20-2010, 03:23 PM
This is my first attempt at HDR using Photomatix (and my first serious post). Three exposures -1,0,+1 were taken at f/11 and 1/50, 1/30, 1/20 sec at ISO 100 using Canon 7D and 24-70 f/2.8 at 24mm. I cloned out (is this the correct language?) a paddle that was in the boat as well as the painter (rope) tying the boat to shore and burned in the rocks in the lower left.

I tried both types of Tone mapping (details enhancer and tone compressor) as well as Exposure Fusion in Photomatix and like the details enhancer method output the best. As I am just learning HDR, I think I needed a wider exposure range (-2, 0, +2) in the initial images, is that correct? but I did not realize that at the time of shooting.

Any feedback/critique would be most appreciated. Thanks,
Dale

Dave Mills
07-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi Dale, Welcome to the forum. This image has some nice qualities to it. The warm early light is very nice along with an interesting sky. I like the fact you put the boat in the foreground but would prefer a bit more room in front of it. Good use of HDR and IMO you captured detail where you needed to. If this were mine I would remove the foliage on the left hand side of the image since it looks clipped. Good effort!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Wow, a neat image with some lovely cloud pattern in the sky with equally fine reflection. Nice HDR job !
The boat adds to the composition but am bit unsure about the diving platform on the left.

Nick Palmieri
07-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I agree that this image may have benefited by a wider exposure range (-/+ 2), since I think some of the trees are dark. For a non-HDR image this would acceptable but for HDR I think every tone should be perfect. I also think you could clone out the tree branches and dock on the left. Of course Roman will tell you to just use a split ND filter...

Roman Kurywczak
07-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey Dave,
Looks like a pretty natural HDR but I do agree the shadows could have been opened up a bit more.....especailly in the LLC and boat.....although it is acceptable as presented. I'm with Dave on the branches.....definitely doesn't add IMO. Pretty well done for a first HDR.

Dale Benham
07-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the comments. I was somewhat constrained in composition by other boats, another dock and cabins in the foreground. I would have liked to had more room below the boat. I've made suggested changes.

Dave Mills
07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Looks good Dale...