PDA

View Full Version : The High Flyer

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Everyone,
Another offering from my recent Farne Islands trip. I had thought that the puffins were fast, but these guys - wow...so unpredictable in their movements :o
1D 3 300 f2.8
ISO 125
f/2.8 1/8000
Exp comp @ -1
HH
Cropped for composition. This may be a little pale for some tastes but I like it :D
Light was very bright by this time...
Look forward to your C & C's.
Best regards to all,
Nicki

Axel Hildebrandt
07-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Cool pose and I like the composition idea and might put the bird maybe a tad further to the left in the frame. Yes, it does look a bit washed out on my monitor. :)

Is this an Arctic Tern?

Scott Frye
07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I like the colors -- white on that pale blue works for a very pleasing-to- look-at shot

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Hi Axel and Scott and thank you both for your comments. Yes, Axel, this is an arctic tern, apparently the most maritime of all the terns... I saw arctic, common and sandwich terns on the Farnes, but sadly didn't get any decent shots of the latter :( I did play with other comps, but prefered this one in the end.
Scott, I'm glad that you enjoyed the image - I too am a big fan of those pale seaside colours :)

Doug Brown
07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
I see you've been spending some time with Terns also. I like the Rothko-esque BG and the dynamic pose. I would darken the blacks some.

Randy Stout
07-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Nicki:

Elegantly simple image. I do think I would prefer the bird a bit more to the left, and a little less brightness, but you were there, so you get to make the final call.

Cheers

Randy

Hendri Venter
07-21-2010, 01:09 AM
A very pleasing image with an interesting comp that works very well for me. Well captured and presented Nicki.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Doug, Randy and Hendri, thank you very much for your comments and suggestions :)