View Full Version : Pale Clouded Yellow

OvidiuCavasdan
07-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Pale Clouded Yellow - Colias Hyale
40D, EF 100mm Macro
F/10
1/320 sec
ISO 500
Manual mode, HH, crop from sides to 4:3.

Jonathan Ashton
07-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Beautiful shot, occasionally we get the Clouded Yellow but I have never seen this species before. Super detail and exposure, I like it very much, the background is idyllic. Just a little unsure over the colour of the flowers??

OvidiuCavasdan
07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Flowers yellow was hot so I toned it down, my pp skills are very limited so...
I told him to feed on thistle but he did not listen to me:D

Jay Sheinfield
07-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Super image. Love the BG and contrast with the light BF hues. Great detail. the foreground yellow OOF flower is a bit distracting IMO, you may try toning it down, or maybe a crop..........not sure. Otherwise, great shot. BTW, you may also consider sharpening that left antenna a bit
.....this image is worth it, again IMO.

Jay

Allen Sparks
07-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Wonderful shot. You could try toning the yellows down and I wish the foreground flower was not there but all in all the way you have it works for me. Great catch of a gorgeous butterfly.

Julie Kenward
07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Ovidiu, another drop dead butterfly image! Only thing that I find distracting is the cut off bud at the bottom of the frame. All in or all out - I try very hard to live by that one! I would also pull those yellows down just a smidge. I like them bright and cheery but they do feel a little heavy here.

That butterfly, though...wowie! Super sharp and I love the angle as it shows us both the outside and the inside of the wings - something we rarely get to see. Way to go!

Ed Cordes
07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Comments above are well made. I will just add my congrats on getting this wonderful BF with the detail in the wings you have achieved.

Ken Childs
07-20-2010, 06:55 AM
You're on a roll, Ovidiu! This looks great. I agree that the flower in the LR is a minor distraction but all in all, you did a fantastic job.

Don't forget about sharpening the antenna if needed. :)

Susan Candelario
07-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Beautiful BF image, nice details, bg and soft colors. Agree with regarding the lower flower. Nice job!

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Hey Ovidiu,
Another beauty! Can't add more to the comments above but will try to help you in the PP'ing. Do you use Photoshop for correcting? You canselect out only the flower.....and either go to color balance and add blue.....or go into selective color...go to the yellow channel and remove yellow there....and perhaps take away some black. Try to do this in a layer......so you can blur/blend the mask. Many ways....just pull them down andd this one really shines!

OvidiuCavasdan
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for comments and suggestions. Tried some work on yellow.

Anita Bower
07-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Wonderfully sharp and simple. Great composition. Super BG. I like the yellows of the original better, but then, I'm not great at that sort of thing. Excellent!

Anita Bower
07-25-2010, 05:58 AM
You canselect out only the flower.....and either go to color balance and add blue.....or go into selective color...go to the yellow channel and remove yellow there....and perhaps take away some black. Try to do this in a layer......so you can blur/blend the mask. Many ways....just pull them down andd this one really shines!
Roman: What do you mean by "blur/blend the mask"? I always work with layers and use blend modes. I also use brushes to eliminate part of the effect. Is that what you are referring to by blur? Thanks.