Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Focus AF

I sa this Comma in a sort of window through the cordyline in the back garden. I am not too sure if the composition floats my boat (maybe too much dark area?) but I thought it made for a slightly different image. All comments are welcome.

Allen Sparks
07-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Well, the composition is different and open to personal taste. I mainly like the details of the butterfly and the green background. Love the bark pattern of the closed wing of this species. Nice shot I would say.

Julie Kenward
07-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Jonathan, I really like the butterfly and the greenery and I especially love the perch but I don't think I understand what the brown stuff around the image is for. IMO, it totally takes away from the beauty of the butterfly. If it were more diffuse and opaque - kind of like a vignette - that might work for me - but this feels like someone dropped paint on your beautiful butterfly image and it totally takes my eye off the focal point.

Let's see what the others say...

Ken Childs
07-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Jon, I'm in complete agreement with Jules. The brown doesn't add anything to the shot and really distracts from the great image that's in the middle.

I know you were going for that natural frame look but I don't feel it worked in this case. Here it is cropped with a vignette and a increase in contrast.

Jonathan Ashton
07-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Yes Jules / Ken I have to agree with you, the OOF cordylines just look plain messy, the crop is better.:o

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Hey Jonathan,
While I agree that the frame didn't entirely work for me either.....I really liked the concept and deviation from the norm......so I dicided to play around with it too! Ken's would definitely be my first choice.....but I wanted to keep the frame. The OP had a look of looking through a window.....so conceptually...I felt a square crop would work as windows are often times square (even though it is a window in the wild.....work with me here!)....I gave that a go....darkened the main leaf a touch and lightened the BF. Still may prefer Ken's comp....just giving you another option to explore. I may work with the vignette a touch more....but this should give you another idea to possibly explore.

Jonathan Ashton
07-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks Roman, I quite like this version.