PDA

View Full Version : Fish Gaggin'

Sandra K. Mathews-Benham
07-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Here's another try. The adult had just fed the baby a minnow, and if you look closely, you can see it on the babe's tongue in its opened mouth.

I missed a great "red" eye, but the expression and intensity of trying to eat is engaging.
This is with my Canon 7D, 100-400mm at 8.4 meters f/5.8 (early in the morning). 74127

Sandra K. Mathews-Benham
07-18-2010, 09:03 PM
I guess the mom isn't very sharp, is she. . . .

Sandra K. Mathews-Benham
07-18-2010, 09:08 PM
74129Does this one work better? I appreciate your feedback everyone.

Lance Peters
07-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi Sandra - We only allow one image per thread UNLESS it is a rework of the original image - not to worry this time :) The first post is quite small 68K - which wont help when evaluating quality - are you using Photoshop?? - If so I have a save for web action that I can send you - it will help you resize your image for posting.

Main problem here with both images is the angle of the light - some parts of the bird in full light and the other parts in deep shadow - best to get the sun lined up at your back so that you get even illumination on your subject.
First one needs some CW rotation - feels like its tilted backwards towards the left.
With Black and white birds soft light is essential only way you can hold detail in the blacks and not blow the whites.

Do you have Arties book? Well worth the investment - many consider it to be the bible for Avian Photography.

Like the action captured!

Colin Knight
07-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Like the action, Sandra. I would have to echo Lance's critique. There are some negatives, but things you're doing well also. Low angle is key in my opinion, and you've managed to get close to the water's surface which makes it intruiging. TFS!

Dave Mills
07-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi Sandra, good comments above. Lighting is everything in photography and I find it important that the right lighting angle is on the subject in order to bring out it's best qualities. As Lance stated that even lighting is the optimum.I also agree on the CW rotation and for my taste I might take a bit off the top...

Sandra K. Mathews-Benham
07-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the comments!
This is the second time someone has mentioned "Artie's book". Does Artie have a last name and a book title? :-) That would really help us newbies--if folks could make sure to include more of the citation (can you tell I'm an author?)

Colin Knight
07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Arthur Morris. Birdsasart.com That should get you there.

Sandra K. Mathews-Benham
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks!