PDA

View Full Version : Beauty's first cub

Steve Kaluski
07-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I think this still counts in the Leopard week? Grant I don't think you will recognise this one, but the Jao boys were close by :D

This is the first of Beauty's cubs only a few weeks old that I managed to photograph. I have posted another one of her off spring a while back, however, both sadly died.

Taken in early morning were the light was poor and no chance of any 'Golden light', you have to take your chances. It seems to be inherent, that whenever I get cub shots that blade of grass is always across the nose, I guess it becoming a trademark! :D

Steve
MKII 500f/4 1/100 f/4 ISO 400 (Bean bag, FF)

peter delaney
07-18-2010, 01:39 PM
lovely image Steve...

just check the eyes again, not sure if you selected and sharpened... looks a tad over sharpened..could be wrong

Hendri Venter
07-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I agree with Peter re eyes but otherwise a very good close-up. They are soo cute.

Steve Kaluski
07-18-2010, 02:21 PM
For once, overwritten the TIFF and saved it for this, DOH. In fact I had made a second pass, albeit slight, therefore will redo the whole file and repost.

IMHO and on reflection, the MKII is far better in terms of sharpness compared to MKIII & IV. Peter/Hendri, there was no sharpening applied to the eyes, just to the bridge of the nose. The eyes are awesome at SS. :D

Steve

BTW Peter, I still haven't changed my mind about camping with you. :D:D:D:D

Katie Rupp
07-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Looks to me like there is some of that early morning light here which works quite well. I like the inquisitive look and the eyes are very unusual looking.

Danny J Brown
07-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Sweet close-up, Steve, of a sweet little baby, ready to take on the world.

Steve Kaluski
07-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Peter/Hendri, here you go. Almost the same, but only 20 USM with one pass. WDYT?

DanWalters
07-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Really like the intense stare and the nice light. Very nice image!

Hilary Hann
07-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Lovely, gentle look on the face of this cub, so sad he didn't make it. :(

I have to admit I'd prefer no grass across the face, but if there had been lots of grass covering the lower jaw, that would have been quite interesting. But I'll take any leopard cub in daylight, grass or no grass.

Stu Bowie
07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey Steve, good job with the repost, and just love the direct eye contact. We all strive for the perfect shot, but I think in nature, especially in the bush, grass will always be there, so I say, leave as is.

Harshad Barve
07-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Next year I will chase these spotted beauties from South India to North India , central India , Shri Lanka and Tanzania ,
This is incredible image Steve , I am jealous for sure , I WANT them :p
TFS