PDA

View Full Version : Champagne Pool, Wai-o-tapu, NZ

Tony Whitehead
07-18-2010, 03:33 AM
This is a well known geothermal attraction close to Rotorua. We had a cold but clear day which really gave abundant steam coming off the hot water. I needed to time my shot to get the colour of the edge as the steam clouds were quite dense - I would have preferred more colour receding into the distance.
Nikon D700
Nikon 14-24
f8 - 5 image HDR assembled in PS-CS5. Local tonal adjustments with Viveza2
Comments and advice always appreciated.

Lance Warley
07-18-2010, 08:54 AM
The fg ledge, the "layered" second ledge and the fog make this a very dynamic and dramatic image.

The sweeping, uneven line of the fg ledge adds a great deal as it makes my eyes move all the way through the frame.

Beautiful work, Tony.

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi Tony,
I'm struggling with this one comp wise.....I have never been there so I will ask.....was it possible to aim more right w/o introducing other unwanted elements? I ask because I love that ledge!!!....but it is leading me to the right and while the layer of stem you have is excellent with good depth (not the easiest BTW).....I feel the ULC throws this off balance somewhat. I think you have great light, textures, and colors....perhaps more of the black/grey toned area?....if that was possible?

peter delaney
07-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Lovely image, I agree with Romans observation... but I also think that the colour on red ledge overpowers the monochromatic LHS... and have cropped to square so the eye is led from bottom left thru image on top RHS...

hoped you dont mind me playing with the image,...

Tony Whitehead
07-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the comments and advice guys. If I went further right it introduced some distant hills and sky that I didn't want. With less steam the ledge running into the distance is nicer and is what makes this such a dramatic place to visit.

Dave Mills
07-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi Tony, Very interesting image! I seem to like Peters crop idea where the comp is tightened up and has a tendancy IMO to give more attention to the ledge. I also think the image is stronger in color due to their contrasts...