PDA

View Full Version : Hwange Leopard

Ken Watkins
07-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Here is my contribution to "Leopard Week", a female Leopard in a classic pose.

I have never seen a Leopard in Hwange before and nor had our guide who has been there for many more days than us, so finding this was a welcome surprise.

You would never know it but the sun was setting behind us. Unfortunately behind big black clouds.

I chose not to clone out the leaf on her head.

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 hand-held from vehicle

F 7.1, ISO 800, 1/125, EV +0.67

Hilary Hann
07-18-2010, 02:49 AM
Anyone who gets a daylight view of a leopard (outside Sabi Sands, of course) is doing well. Unusual to have them in a tree without much foliage which makes it look like she is almost floating on her branch. I like her pose and the tail, so typical. I do think that you could extract a little more sharpness out of her.

Ken Watkins
07-18-2010, 05:19 AM
Hilary,

You are not wrong there, here is a repost

Egil Droge
07-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Anyone who gets a daylight view of a leopard (outside Sabi Sands, of course) is doing well.

Come to South Luangwa ;) About 20 leopard sightings so far this (and I haven't been in the field as much as I wanted) and most of them during the day...

Morkel Erasmus
07-18-2010, 07:31 AM
wonderful sighting Ken - I like that you fit her entirely in the frame, tail and all, and the fact that she's looking over her shoulder negates the need for more space in front, so a nicely balanced comp. I don't mind the leaf, and I think your repost is nice and sharp and it has sorted out a greenish cast in the OP :)

Marc Mol
07-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Come to South Luangwa ;) About 20 leopard sightings so far this (and I haven't been in the field as much as I wanted) and most of them during the day...

You took the words right out of my mouth Egil! ;)
Sth Luangwa NP is a haven for daylight Leopard sightings, at least the equal of Sabie Sands GR.

Ken Watkins
07-18-2010, 10:16 AM

Well you have better luck than us no sightings of Leopards or anything else for that matter in 2005.

We have found most in Kwando at least one on every visit and always in daylight, lots in daylight in the Mara as well.

Seems that Leopard are doung a lot better than some would have you believe:D

Egil Droge
07-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Did just a little outing in the park this afternoon and found a leopard sleeping in the tree. Very relaxed, wouldn't even look in our direction. Bad circumstances for a photo, but again a daylight leopard sighting.

Hendri Venter
07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Fantastic sighting Ken. The pose is great and composition spot on.

Harshad Barve
07-20-2010, 04:33 AM
wow , typical big cat pose , re-post rocks
TFS