PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eyes II - with scanner

dawn campbell
07-17-2010, 08:03 PM
I posted an image called "Dark Eyes" a couple days ago (or was it just yesterday?) I took with my 5DM2. At the same time I took it, I created another image by scanning the calla lilies themselves, something I do sometimes. I got the idea because, as a designer, I have had to rely quite heavily on scanners (whether desktop or drum scans) to produce images for print. I seem to crave detail and like to reproduce in large sizes, so I figured why not scan the flowers themselves and avail myself of an inexpensive pseudo-medium format reproduction device. Since then, I've discovered I'm not the only one to have had this thought, and there is quite an active community out there using scanners to create images.

It's not quite as easy as it sounds. It requires a great deal of clean up, and you have to know the software to manipulate light fall-off etc. Clearly, there are significant limitations with respect to composition. But I often do what I do with my camera, and then try a scan or two before discarding a subject. That said, and without further ado, I am posting another image of the same calla lilies, and am trying to decide which to reproduce for an upcoming gallery show I have in the works. I need to decide tomorrow so if anyone has any opinions as to which they like and why, I'd be delighted and thankful to hear them.

This image is, at its original size, about 8750 on the long side, so to reduce it to 750px is a bit of a stretch and it loses some of its texture and its smoothness. I want to make a large canvas out of 1 of the 2 of them.

thanks! sorry for the long boring story :)

Ed Cordes
07-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Another stunner! Even at this high reduction for the web the texture and subtle color comes through. I hate to sound like a nit picker, but a bit more room on top and right would help create a sense of space around the RH flowers. Maybe about 1/8 in top and right?

dawn campbell
07-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks Ed. I'll take a look at that!

dawn campbell
07-17-2010, 08:55 PM
ah, you are right about that--just added a bit to the top and right and it is less cramped!

Anita Bower
07-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Lovely! The few scanned images I've seen have all been pleasing. If I were arranging the flowers again, I'd allow a little space between the two middle ones that are touching, but, it isn't a big issue. Beautiful colors and light. I like the diagonal flow across the screen. I'm not going to be any help in choosing which to print--I struggled enough choosing for my own show.:D

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi Dawn,
I know a few people who use the technique although I haven't tried it myself! I'm with Anita on the seperation.....but as is the repost works very well! Just something to keep in mind next time out!

Bob Miller
07-18-2010, 07:56 PM
HI Dawn...another beauty! I really like it! I agree that the two middle flowers may be a bit crowded but still very nice!

Julie Kenward
07-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Such a beatiful image - especially for a scan! I can see the point about separating the two touching flowers but, here, for some reason, it doesn't bother me. It's like looking at a family portrait and those are the twins that stand closer together because they are twins! I do think it's a tiny bit dark - I wouldn't mind seeing just a bit more light in the flowers themselves to bring a few more high tones into the mix but it is certainly lovely as posted. The repost really takes it over the top.

dawn campbell
07-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks Jules. I actually started setting up that image with the two touching flowers, and liked them because they were touching, then I added in the others. I can see why people might think it would be better if they weren't touching, but I did try moving them away from each other, and ended up putting them back.

Part of the problem with the scanned images is that they tend to be a bit flat unless you are dealing with a single subject and can manipulate the light falloff more. This one suffers a bit from that in looking at it again. I might revisit the processing. In the end, I decided to have the previous image I posted of the callas printed up on a canvas--in no small part because I took it with my camera. People don't always view scanned images as "legit".

thanks for all the help everyone! Much appreciated.

William Malacarne
07-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Dawn

Nice shot......:D

Bill

dawn campbell
07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
ah.... who are you :O)