PDA

View Full Version : Timber Rattlesnake

Danny J Brown
07-17-2010, 06:43 PM
We don't have too many dangerous animals in Missouri and these guys aren't too bad unless you step on them. Shot lying on my belly in front of the snake with my Nikon D50, long traded away. Image was made on Rockwoods Conservation Area near St. Louis. The image data says the focal length was 210 mm but I only had a 55-200 kit lens at the time. Not sure about the f-stop and shutter speed but the woods were very dark and I didn't use a flash. Shot from Manfrotto 055XB Tripod w/Manfrotto 488RC2...I do remember that. Sorry for the distractive elements -- green vegetation, etc.

DB

Steve Canuel
07-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Beautiful snake Danny. Colors look good on my end. I think you can be forgiven for not moving the stick and leaves out of the way on this one ;). Nice to see both pupil slits even with the head on view.

Mike Tracy
07-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Nicely done showing the details in the scales and coloration.

Danny J Brown
07-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Beautiful snake Danny. Colors look good on my end. I think you can be forgiven for not moving the stick and leaves out of the way on this one ;). Nice to see both pupil slits even with the head on view.

That's funny Steve because as you know that is the only way I ever remove something from an image.:) I'm glad the colors look good because I really had to warm this one up to get rid of the blue cast from the dark woods. The auto-white balance on the D50 just gave up sometimes in certain kinds of light but it was a great little camera that produced beautiful color most of the time.

Alfred Forns
07-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Danny Neat angle and only way to go here !!! btw would take some from the bottom, will clean the image some and get a better look at the head !! Like it a lot !!! .... btw would it be safe to use flash on one of these?

Danny J Brown
07-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi Danny Neat angle and only way to go here !!! btw would take some from the bottom, will clean the image some and get a better look at the head !! Like it a lot !!! .... btw would it be safe to use flash on one of these?

Good idea....I'll try that, Al. I used the flash for other shots and it didn't bother her, a docile female according to my wildlife biologist friend who was radio-tracking this rattlesnake that day.

Mike Fuhr
07-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Like this one Danielsan -- I really like the detail on the head. I bet you didn't get much ss in the dark woods -- amazing it came out so sharp. Thank you Manfrotto.:)

Steve Kaluski
07-18-2010, 12:38 AM
I think I would prefer to see it here Danny than in real life. :D Wonder if it's better to shoot these early morning before they warm up?

TFS
Steve

Danny J Brown
07-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I think I would prefer to see it here Danny than in real life. :D Wonder if it's better to shoot these early morning before they warm up?

TFS
Steve

Not a bad idea, Steve, but this one was at last light. We radio tracked it an got a super strong signal but couln't find it. Just before the three of us gave up and started to walk off, the wildlife biologist said, "Oh, here it is," and it was right at our feet between the three of us.....very scary. Their camo is just amazing!

DB