PDA

View Full Version : Saguaro cactus blossom

Rene A
07-17-2010, 06:29 PM
The Saguaro cactus blossom only opens up at night. So last night armed with a flashlight & camera my husband and I where out in the dark til around midnight to try to shot this thing.

Mark IV
100 2.8 IS macro
flash
Manual
f/11 1/5 sec
Iso 400
distance 77 cm

Alfred Forns
07-17-2010, 07:06 PM
... and that you did JB :) It is one interesting flower and do like the close up view .. if you get another shot at it try a wide angle lens? .. was thinking of the greater dof might be interesting !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
07-17-2010, 07:22 PM
That is a bloom. Must have been comical watching you set up and shoot. I think Al's idea would be cool, using a wide angle.

Rene A
07-17-2010, 07:30 PM
I'll try a wide angle tonight. I only have a 17-40 & 24-105.

Lance Peters
07-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi - Nicely done nothing really to complain about here. Well done!!

That said - if I was shooting this - the challenge would be - How do I convey to the viewer that this indeed only opens at night time - how do I get the image to tell that story (without the need to explain in words), as it is anyone that knows anything about the cactus would probably know the story - but how do you convey that story in the image - so that anyone can look at it and go WOW this thing flowers at night!!

IMHO - thats what would transform this into something completely different.

Rene A
07-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Lance,

I would have to set up a tripod to make a video when those babies go back to sleep early in the morning around 7-8 am:) May try it!

Gus Hallgren
07-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi

Looks like a "Night Blooming Cereus" to me.

We had 18 blossoms on ours yesterday morning.

Keep smiling

Gus

Ian Cassell
07-18-2010, 12:08 AM
I agree with Gus. I'm not sure this is a saguaro. Saguaros are in bloom during the day out here (although the season is about over) and they don't have that green tint. It is so hard to get one that isn't packed with little bugs. Someone told me that the nectar of the saguaro is extremely sweet and that is why they are such bug attractants.

In any event, I like your image!

Gus Hallgren
07-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Hi:

This is definitely a Night Blooming Cereus. Here is a photo (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1431222572048216361ApqIYh)from our garden. They also grow on vines, however, we had 18 blooms yesterday morning until they started wilting as soon as the sun hit them. We have had blooms over 8" across.

They are a real traffic stopper.

Saguaro flowers are generally from 2 to 3" across and bloom night & day. Our Woodpeckers love them. Photo here (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1340835431048216361MgrzZu)

Gus

Rene A
07-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Gus & Ian you are right

Thanks

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi Rene,
Hope I caught you b4 you went out toniight! The angle you chose is tough at f11.....since you are tripod mounted....try getting this a bit more right to left (not much) and go to f22! Be careful not to clip the upper part of the bloom! You can also try focusing with the flashlight....and use your flash....even powered down. That may give a look Lance was looking for....but be careful of the shadows.....reflector or aluminum foil opposite flash may fit the bill! Good luck!
PS I have seen this flower in Arizona.....sometimes they open at dusk....which will be a bit easier!

Dave Mills
07-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi Rene, A number of helpful comments above. Just an idea but if it's a night bloomer why show any of the backround other than darkness. It would also make the flower pop a bit more. Agree with Roman that if you are tripod mounted I would go for more DOF since it's a stationary subject.