PDA

View Full Version : Glistening

Colin Driscoll
07-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Early morning dew on a dandelion seed head. Just an experimental shot trying stacked Raynox 150+250 on my 100 IS macro. Just a slight crop. Full frame with this setup is 8mm wide and at the magnification of this shot it was 1 cm. The advantage over tubes is that you keep most of the available light.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/MyPikkies/Assorted/DandelionDew190710.jpg

50D 100 macro + raynox 1/160 f14 -1ev iso 400 HH

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey Colin,
Well....I admire the approach as the thought process was excellent but even though I had a good idea of what it was.....the comp is what I am struggling with. I like the small dew orbs...just wishing there was more of a structore or form.......make sense? Lacking a focal point, I am having difficulty even with the abstract. Perhaps if a few more of the seed heads were in focus? Not sure andd at that magnification.....a huge challenge. I do applaud your efforts in experimenting though!
PS I did play around with a browser crop.....felt a pano crop off top....just below seedhead on ULC.....works a bit more for me. Something to explore perhaps.

Colin Driscoll
07-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks Roman, I agree about the lack of a focal point on that shot and I debated with myself on that point before posting- I was just really enthusiastic about my experiment! I've since taken more shots with that setup and am very pleased with the result. I'll post a better demonstration sometime soon.

Julie Kenward
07-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Colin, nice experiment and good thinking outside the box. I also find it hard to determine a focal point here but look forward to seeing the new and improved versions! I love the quality of light you've managed to get out of this set up.