Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 310mm
Av mode
1/500"
F11
ISO:400
LR & CS3
HH

Repaired 3 missing chunks from the wing edges. Cloned out a bunch of spots on the flower petals. Blurred and and darkened a few light areas in the BG. Added a light vignette, just to try something different. Brightened and sharpened the eye (which is something I do on just about every butterfly shot I post here).

As long as they're around, I'll keep shooting them. :)

dawn campbell
07-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi Ken, this is another very well executed shot. The 100-400 is serving you well in this. Is that what most folks are using for bugs/insects? That's one lens I would like to have. I've got the 300mm f/4 with the 1.4x TC which does a decent job, but for something like this, I prefer to have a zoom rather than a prime to provide more flexibility in your movements (or lack thereof).

I see from your sig line you work at the Finish Flag Farms. I took a peak at the site to see what that was, and what a great idea to provide a place for retired show horses, etc. I also noticed there are quite a large number of images of the flora and fauna there--are those mostly yours or are others involved? Hopefully not too many questions--just trying to get a feel for who is who.

Colin Driscoll
07-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Lovely! Seems silly using the 100-400 as a macro lens but they are so useful. Have you tried an small extension tube? It works really well. Nice PP job too.

Ken Childs
07-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi Ken, this is another very well executed shot. The 100-400 is serving you well in this. Is that what most folks are using for bugs/insects? That's one lens I would like to have. I've got the 300mm f/4 with the 1.4x TC which does a decent job, but for something like this, I prefer to have a zoom rather than a prime to provide more flexibility in your movements (or lack thereof).

I see from your sig line you work at the Finish Flag Farms. I took a peak at the site to see what that was, and what a great idea to provide a place for retired show horses, etc. I also noticed there are quite a large number of images of the flora and fauna there--are those mostly yours or are others involved? Hopefully not too many questions--just trying to get a feel for who is who.
I use the 100-400 when I'm dealing with wary subjects since they won't usually let me get close enough to use my 100mm macro.

The flora/fauna pics are all mine. Other than the random page, all of those shots were taken on or within sight of my property.

Lovely! Seems silly using the 100-400 as a macro lens but they are so useful. Have you tried an small extension tube? It works really well. Nice PP job too.
I have a 1.4x tc I'll use if I want more magnification but I rarely need it.

Julie Kenward
07-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Another beautiful butterfly image, Ken! You've really got them eating out of the palm of your hands at this point. You might try softening the ULC a bit; other than that, wow!

OvidiuCavasdan
07-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Very nice BF, like the comp, dof and sharpness. Well done!

Jonathan Ashton
07-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Technically very good, and I like the shot very much, the exposure and colours are excellent............I know you don't agree with me but I would suggest it is too big in the frame:D

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Hey Ken,
Ohter than a bit of BG smoothing for my tastes.....this is really well handled! Light is just perfect and you got one killer specimen! Great job!

Allen Sparks
07-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Lovely image Ken...nice post processing work.