PDA

View Full Version : Northern Harrier

Danny J Brown
07-17-2010, 04:51 PM
I caught this female harrier streaking at eye level across a prairie at August Busch Conservation Area (Missouri) during an early morning snow. The stems on some prairie plants turn red in the winter making the entire landscape a beautiful salmon color. By the way, my saturation was on "0" here and I actually toned down the red channel by about 10 points because I didn't want to freak anybody out.

Canon 40D; Canon 500/4 L IS; 1/800; f/4.0; ISO 400; Gitzo GT3530LS w/Wimberley II.

Dan Busby
07-17-2010, 06:08 PM
There is something very strange going on here Danny. First, the image is beautiful - wonderful monotone echoed in the bird and the background. Seems like a fine painting more than a photo (that's a compliment!). I like the composition and the scale. A little brighter eye on the bird might help to make that focal point a bit stronger. But what is strange to me is some quirk of scale of the vegetation relative to the bird. It gives the impression that the bird is a mini bird, flying through the blades of grass. The two strong angled branches going through the bird's left wing, and actually look like they are behind the bird, seem to show the bird as extremely small in comparison. Maybe my head is still in that oof branch in my last post :D

Danny J Brown
07-17-2010, 06:29 PM
There is something very strange going on here Danny. First, the image is beautiful - wonderful monotone echoed in the bird and the background. Seems like a fine painting more than a photo (that's a compliment!). I like the composition and the scale. A little brighter eye on the bird might help to make that focal point a bit stronger. But what is strange to me is some quirk of scale of the vegetation relative to the bird. It gives the impression that the bird is a mini bird, flying through the blades of grass. The two strong angled branches going through the bird's left wing, and actually look like they are behind the bird, seem to show the bird as extremely small in comparison. Maybe my head is still in that oof branch in my last post :D

Yes, a painterly image as it was shot the same morning as the other painterly harrier image I posted a few days ago. I guess the rest can be explained by the "wonders of compression" of a super-tele. I went back to the RAW file and zoomed it in close and the stems that go past the left wing are definitely behind the bird, if that helps. Also, the eye looked much better prior to the final BPN post as happens to my images sometimes. Thanks for the long look and inquisitive comments. By the way, this image is a significant crop.

DB

Fabs Forns
07-17-2010, 06:38 PM
I love the painterly look of the BG, only wish for a better wing position on the creature :) I'm jealous, I so love those Harrier birds!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Interesting light, nice gliding pose and I like the crop idea but might put the bird a bit higher in the frame.

Danny J Brown
07-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Interesting light, nice gliding pose and I like the crop idea but might put the bird a bit higher in the frame.

Thanks Axel, I thought about that but left it low to show how it was literally soaring through the prairie almost at ground level.

DB

Tony Whitehead
07-18-2010, 03:06 AM
Love the sharpness against the softness of the textures of the BG. Agree on trying a version with the bird a touch higher if you can keep the BG.

Stu Bowie
07-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Lovely setting Danny, and I like the flying posture. Another vote for moving the Harrier up a tad, and also a little more to the ULC.

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Very interesting post Danny and I do love the painterly feel to this image. They are such beautiful birds and you captured him doing what he seems to like doing best. Hunting !!! Brings back memories from Bosque, New Mexico. with the tall grasses and the same color tones. Really very beautiful !!!

Bill Jobes
07-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Excellent winter action scene, Danny !

I understand Dan's observation and comment, but know from experience that harriers are frequently found soaring the tips of dead field grasses, and that unexpected clusters like this are often seen.

Danny J Brown
07-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks everybody for you consideration and thoughtful comments.

DB

Hendri Venter
07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Very nice Danny. I would also like a bit off the top.