PDA

View Full Version : Rippled juvi loon - Loon Lighting Project

Randy Stout
07-17-2010, 03:56 PM
This 3 week old juvi was imaged in northern Michigan about 2 weeks ago. I have been trying to expand my lighting styles for the loons, and my last few posts have been part of that effort. I liked the ripples and varied colors which play well with the loons color.
I used a touch of fill flash to change the light balance on the bird slightly without washing out the nice side lighting.

D300 500mm f/4 TC14 1/1000s f6/3 ISO 500 Manual exposure center weighted SB800 -2, no beamer
Pedestal mounted in my boat with Wimberley V2

Post: Curves, selective sharpening 30% crop for comp. Removed flash catchlight

Advice always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Mike Fuhr
07-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Wow -- that is a KILLER background. The colors look wonderful and downy feathers are super sharp. What a great shot (and I'm not saying that because you helped w some great advice on the owl shot :))!

Phil Ertel
07-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi Randy,

The colors and silky texture of the water are stunning and in my opinion they make this image fantastic. The bird presents well with a good head angle and good detail and the reflection adds interest. Lovely! Thanks much for sharing.

Danny J Brown
07-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Beautiful catch of this fuzzy little beauty and Mike is right about the background - and foreground - really special here. I imagine you struggled a little with the leveling on this one as it depends on what element you want to level to get to the right spot.

DB

Fabs Forns
07-17-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm putting on a request for a visit with you in Michigan :)
Really impressed with your Loon series, as I've told you before.
I am amazed at the water on this one, really sweet, Randy.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-17-2010, 06:41 PM
I like the low angle, water colors and patterns and the eye contact looks good, too. Composition works well. I would remove the catchlight in the reflection, too.

Troy Lim
07-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Reflection on the water is amazing, love it.
Personal taste, just a bit dark. Love your series. Keep them coming.

Stu Bowie
07-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Randy, Excellent light, and good use of fill flash, sharp detail, and you have captured a perfect HA too. Interesting colours and texture from the water, and with regards to rotation, looks fine as is, but if you lined up the tips of the bills, a very slight CCW rotation is needed.

christopher galeski
07-18-2010, 10:24 AM
very nice shot Randy,love the water colors magic,and the detail in the downy feathers,you can really feel the softness,and the lighting is quite magical.thanks.

James Salywoda
07-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Such a little beauty Randy great choice for composition the colors on the water really go nicely with the Loon chick.

Randy Stout
07-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. I checked the bill to bill alignment, 1.1 degrees CCW would square it up. With all the ripples, it didn't bother me much, but Stuart was right.

Cheers

Randy

Grace Scalzo
07-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Gorgeous!!!!

Hendri Venter
07-20-2010, 12:57 PM
The flash did the trick here. Fantastic detail and colours. Well done!