PDA

View Full Version : Portrait - Great egret

Cheryl Slechta
07-17-2010, 11:18 AM
I started working on some bird "portraits" after the oil spill in an attempt to dignify them as individuals. I used (I think) an old photo filter in LR. Kerry, if you'd rather not include birds in the theme that's fine. I hope the HA is passable. I tried to find some images that showed birds in a contemplative attitude (sorry for the anthropomorphism - he was probably looking for a fish:o)

Kerry Perkins
07-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Cheryl, I think "portrait" is a broad term and I don't have a problem with birds! That's why I posted my pigeon. ;)

I like the duo-tone look and high-key aspect of this one. I would maybe use a curves adjustment to bring up the blacks a bit. As far as the HAP, I think you're lucky that Artie is on a remote island with no Internet access... :D Probably could use a bit more of a head turn. I love these egret shots and have a bunch of them myself. They are always searching the water for a fish, but it looks like they are thinking deep thoughts. Probably not... :cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
07-17-2010, 12:35 PM
I like the pose Cheryl and the old photo look. Took the liberty of working on it a bit. Went into LAB mode/channels, then lightness, adjusted the blacks up the graph, and then sharpened using smart sharpen. Reverted it to RGB mode and then saved. A few other tweaks too. Might work on the highlights a bit in RAW mode. Just some ideas. (Hope you don't mind)

Mark Fuge
07-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Nice image and application, Cheryl. I like your pose, HA and all! ;)

As for birds ... that is what this place is about. Some of us just went the other way this week, as the board was opened by James for that purpose. But I like the subject as well.

Indranil Sircar
07-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Nice composition, Cheryl. I like the pose and the duotone effect.

Cheryl Slechta
07-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Jackie - I like the repost a lot. I'm not sure what you did (can I do what you did with Elements?). I need a course on channels, etc.:o And Kerry - yes I'm glad Artie is without internet access - I'll plead OOTB:D

Jackie Schuknecht
07-18-2010, 02:09 PM
No I don't think you can because it doesn't have LAB Mode Cheryl, but you can do a lot in RAW.. Not sure if you would like it or not. Just some different options. How is the IR coming along????

Cheryl Slechta
07-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Jackie - I haven't gotten my camera back yet. I'm going to call them Monday just to check on it. How are you liking yours? I can hardly wait - I suspect a very steep learning curve but maybe the deep B&W won't be so hard:)

Christopher Miller
07-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Very nice, Cheryl. Great pose and I love the duotone. Personally I would prefer a little more head turn, but even as is it isn't too bad.