PDA

View Full Version : Pied Fantail with chicks

Loong-Tat Wong
07-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi
Sharing an image of a pied fantail bring food back to the hungry chicks. Your comments please!

Image details
1dm4 600mm f4 f9 1/80 EV -0.6 ISO 1600 manual flash 1/128 beanbag

paul leverington
07-17-2010, 08:37 AM
This one's really cool! A nest shot of very worthy value for many reasons. Maybe your best one too at least that I have seen of these guys. Congrats on another winner.

Paul

Krijn Trimbos
07-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Gorgeous shot! Love the scene, BG and attentive parent. Good use of flash, but is looks a bit flat and dark to my eye. I would lighten this up a bit more and increase the midtone contrast. Congrats on a great shot!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Loong-Tat this is adorable - what a beautiful bird! You have captured the moment perfectly - I agree that lightening the overall image may work well. Those open beaks take this over the top for me.

Loong-Tat Wong
07-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi
Thanks for the comments. I have adjusted the brightness of the image and wonder if this is better.

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-17-2010, 09:13 AM
What an awesome capture. Just precious. Love the fanned tail, the grub , the babies anxiously waiting and the superb composition. This is stunning and the detail and BG is excellent. Love it !!!!!

Krijn Trimbos
07-17-2010, 09:17 AM
The repost looks much much better Loong-Tat well done man!

Gen Benjamin
07-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow I just love this image, you have captured such a beautiful moment in nature. The repost does look better.
Gen

Daniel Cadieux
07-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Now that is a wicked nest location! Awesome interaction, and of course the fanned tail is just way too cool :cool:. Just a bit more room above the tail needed IMO (to match the amount of room below the nest), and some eye doctor work on the adult to eliminate the extra glints. Excellent find, and well done!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Great angle, behavior, sharpness and BG. The repost looks much better, I might only remove the whitewash on the perch.

Dan Busby
07-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Great shot Loong-Tat! I really like the way the one chick is leaning over the other to try to reach the adult first. The re-post is a big improvement. What a beautiful species.

Simon Bennett
07-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Wonderful image, with great natural history interest.

Fabs Forns
07-17-2010, 07:03 PM
What an amazing image! It is incredible that the nest could hold itsel in the position it is. Repost is a great improvement and agree on having more room on top of the tail. Congratulations!

Melvin Grey
07-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Great composition and action caught at just the right moment. But, will you please answer these questions, do these birds really build their nests in such open , exposed situations? Do they not have any natural predators that they have to hide from like most other birds?

Loong-Tat Wong
07-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Hi folks
Thanks for your kind suggestions and comments. Much appreciated!
Melvin
This is my first fantail nest and I too was quite surprised by its choice of location. The nest was located on a terminal branch of a thick bush overhanging a river and actually a little below the level of the bank. Not too sure if it was the original state when the birds first built the nest!!Fortunately both chicks fledged successfully.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Great shot in every sense of the word. Perfect composition and with the fanned tailed, the food, head angle, chick's open beak.....a winner all the way.

In my childhood birding days in India, I used to spend a lot of time enjoying these birds( we had the white-spotted variety in my neck of the woods) and their nests. For some reason, the nests used to be really easy to find. I know how hard it is to get this kind of background. I also know how hard it is to freeze that fanned tailed....congrats on a terrific shot.

Hendri Venter
07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Fantastic image and moment captured. The fanned tail makes this even better. Well done.